• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speed cameras and a new car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CarlsTheName

Hi, I recently rented a car. It happened to be brand new, so there were no license plates, only a piece of paper with the license number taped to the back window. I went through a town that has speed cameras. I have never seen those before. I got flashed twice by them. So my question is, where is the camera aimed? If it's only aimed at the license plate, then they have no information about the registration, right? Or does the camera photograph the entire back of the car? If so, it might have photographed the piece of paper taped to the back window. I'm not sure whether to expect a ticket or not. I'm also not sure how rental car agencies deal with these things. Do they forward the ticket to you?
Input is appreciated!

asiny

Hi, I recently rented a car. It happened to be brand new, so there were no license plates, only a piece of paper with the license number taped to the back window. I went through a town that has speed cameras. I have never seen those before. I got flashed twice by them. So my question is, where is the camera aimed? If it's only aimed at the license plate, then they have no information about the registration, right? Or does the camera photograph the entire back of the car? If so, it might have photographed the piece of paper taped to the back window. I'm not sure whether to expect a ticket or not. I'm also not sure how rental car agencies deal with these things. Do they forward the ticket to you?
Input is appreciated!
The camera usually photographs the entire rear of the car, making it clear what the car is and enough to get a clear plate ID.. meaning the paper plate would be recognisable.

Usually the car rental company just charges your credit card that you used for the rental the costs of the tickets.

Also, one important question, What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

ecmst12

The cart rental company can't charge your credit card. They can and will send you the ticket and inform the state who was responsible for the car on that day. Then the state will pursue you as normal if you don't pay.

racer72

The cart rental company can't charge your credit card. They can and will send you the ticket and inform the state who was responsible for the car on that day. Then the state will pursue you as normal if you don't pay.
Oh yes they can, you agree to it with every car rental. I rent cars on a regular basis and have found statements on every rental agreements that states if any fines, penalties, etc. are charged to the company during the rental period of the vehicle, the rental company can charge these expenses plus any fees to your credit card. A few years ago I was dinged for a parking ticket I received in the Phoenix area. I never saw a ticket on the car but Avis was more than happy to give me a copy of it when I questioned the additional charge to my credit card.

CarlsTheName

Thanks for the responses. As a matter of principle, it seems unethical for the car rental company to charge your credit card since some people might want to contest the ticket. I believe I was going over the speed limit so I probably would not contest, but still, it seems out of keeping with our rights not to be able to fight it.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks for the responses. As a matter of principle, it seems unethical for the car rental company to charge your credit card since some people might want to contest the ticket.
If you don't want to waive that right, then don't rent the car.

Zigner

I can see you are a person who doesn't travel.
No, I travel. And I travel with the knowledge that I am giving up certain "rights" when I travel. If I chose to not give up those rights, I'd find a different way to handle things.

ecmst12

I find it more likely that they will forward the ticket to the renter, but maybe that's just my state. I have forgotten my EZ Pass in a rental and those letters always got to me, the car rental company did NOT just pay them and charge me for it.

Who's Liable?

If it was an AZ speed cameta ticket, OP can toss it when it does arrive as regular mail is NOT considered proper service of said tickets. After 120 days, the ticket is null and void

Zigner

If it was an AZ speed cameta ticket, OP can toss it when it does arrive as regular mail is NOT considered proper service of said tickets. After 120 days, the ticket is null and void
Except that the rental agency can pay it and charge it to the OP, per their agreement.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
. As a matter of principle, it seems unethical for the car rental company to charge your credit card since some people might want to contest the ticket.
If you received some type of ticket then own up to it and you can fight it. If you try to get out of it by ignoring it then usually you're found guilty by default when the ticket does not get answered. That's when the rental company will charge you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">