• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speed Checked By Radar Warning Signs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

911caretaker

What is the name of your state? California.
I have often heard but can find no information that radar warnig signs must be posted on highways before radar can be used. I live in Lake Los Angeles, a rural community in the high desert of Southern Calif. where the roads are straight, and long. Most of the major streets have the warning posted along wih the speed limit but there is a least one street, Ave K, which has a 6 mile stretch with no stops and only the speed limit posted of 55mph and not within the city limits of Lancaster. Can the LA County Sherrif or CHP use radar on that stretch of road for speed enforcement?

dcatz

Yes. The signs are just that: warnings and thus detterents, but they are not a mandated pre-condition to enforcement.

The Occultist

So they can't enforce speeds using radar unless they warn you? Do you also expect there to be signs warning you that there's an officer hidden behind the billboard as well? :rolleyes:

JustAPal00

If a road has no posted sign, then the state maximum speed goes into affect. 55mph on highways and 25mph on all other roads. There are a few exceptions where it's 15mph, like at RR crossings, in alleys, and when traversing a highway. They can use radar to get you anywhere!

Maestro64

I believe the signs are not a legal requirement for enforcement but I do believe CA still requires what is call a Radar Survey in order to use radar in a particular stretch of road or location.

This site has all the case laws for CA so it tells you what they can and can not do legally. I also gives information on CA definition of "Speed Trap" which is illegal in CA.

http://helpigotaticket.com/index.html

CdwJava

I have often heard but can find no information that radar warnig signs must be posted on highways before radar can be used.
They are not required, but some county courts like to see them so they tell the local jurisdictions to post them before they will enforce radar citations.

Can the LA County Sherrif or CHP use radar on that stretch of road for speed enforcement?
Absent some other reason why they couldn't, they sure could.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">