• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speed Limit sign posting in Pa

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

reelone

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I was recently cited for a speeding violation in Pa and have a few questions I'm hoping someone could answer.

The details of the ticket are as follows: 63 mph in a 45 mph. Miles followed .0909 (480'), seconds timed 5.11. The officer checked "other" as the device and noted V-Spec. He noted Statute Pa 75 C.S. 3362 (a)(3).

3362 (a)(3) states "Any other maximum speed limit established under this subchapter".

Does anyone know what the V-Spec device is? I'm assuming it is similar to Vascar but I'm not sure. It is listed as an allowed device in Pa.

Pa has a requirement for speed limit sign posting. 3362 (b)(1) states "No maximum speed limit established under subsection (a)(1), (1.2) or (3) shall be effective unless posted on fixed or variable official traffic-control devices erected in accordance with regulations adopted by the department which regulations shall require posting at the beginning and end of each speed zone and at intervals not greater than one-half mile."

The area between where I was cited has 45mph speed limit signs posted .61 miles apart (3,260') based on using a measuring wheel. I know the court may disallow the use of the measuring wheel based on certified calibration. Google Earth measures the distance at 3,237'. Both distances clearly exceed the one-half mile (2,640'). The location the officer noted on the ticket was just before the second sign.

Does anyone know what measuring method would be permitted in traffic court?

I believe the speed limit would default to 55mph in the area if not properly posted. The difference is 4 points versus 2 points on my license. My goal would be to accept an offer to pay the fine with no points, but I want to be prepared to defend if I do not get that offer. I do not intend to testify against myself nor admit to speeding.

Also, would the ticket be dismissed if the distance is too far on the signage, if I can support the measurement, or would the judge simply adjust the ticket to reflect the default speed even if I do not admit guilt.

FlyingRon

You are correct, it is a glorified stopwatch such as VASCAR: http://www.yisinc.com/v-spec.asp

I'd mention them both. You have a reasonable case but I've seen silly things happen in the magesterial courts in PA.

Once the trial starts, you should be acquitted of what you are charged for and they should not be able to charge you with a reduced (but correct) charge. Now if they wanted to amend that citation before the trial, that would be another story.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Seems to me that you have a .11 mi area in which you can safely ignore :)rolleyes:) the posted speed limit. The 45 mph would be in effect for 1/2 mile after it's posted, then it is not effective for .11 mi, then the next sign of 45 mph kicks in.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">