• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speed not reasonable or Prudent??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mugen939

New York

Hello all,

I'm a resident of New Jersey and I just received a ticket while riding in New York through Harriman state park for the first time. I stopped at a roundabout with my friend to find out which way to go next and while we were pulled on the side of the road a park officer pulls up and asks for our papers. He comes back after what seems like an hour and gives us both the same ticket. He said that we were speeding. My question is, is there a way to plea this down to a non moving violation even if it means that I pay a higher fine? Should I get a lawyer? I've never heard of this kind of violation before so it's pretty foreign to me. I never even knew that you could get a speeding ticket without a radar reading or anything.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Radar is not necessary to write any type of a speeding ticket. Besides, you don't really know if the officer used radar do you?

In any event, plea bargaining is common. What court does the ticket get mailed back to?

HighwayMan

It may not be worth getting an attorney considering that whatever points are assessed (3) will be applied to your New York driving record, not New Jersey.

However, chances are you will be given the opportunity to plead guilty to a lesser charge. Don't count on getting a conviction for a non-moving violation - with or without an attorney.

mugen939

Hi,

The ticket gets mailed back to Tuxedo. ON the ticket the recorded speed mark is left blank. As for plea bargaining i'm mulling over what to do. I spoke to a lawyer and he said he could most likely get them to accept a non moving violation since I have no point on my record. But outside of a 100% guarantee that the lawyer can do that I'm hesitant to have him represent me since it will cost me a few hundred dollars on top of whatever fines get assessed. And in new jersey any out of state violations no matter how many points are associated with the violation only two transfer to NJ. Now Im' just all confused as to what I should do. :(

HighwayMan

ON the ticket the recorded speed mark is left blank.
And? How does that indicate that radar was not used?

You have to decide what to do. In most of these courts you can get as good a result without an attorney (with all due respect to our attorneys out there) if you're a bit aggressive dealing with the prosecutor. Of course, in this case you may be dealing with the officer who wrote you the ticket. Was it a New York State Park Police officer?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">