• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speed Violation In CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

leftcoast415

Hello,

Last night I was pulled over on the Bay Bridge where the posted speed limit is 50mph. The code/section on the ticket is 23336 which states:

23336. It is unlawful to violate any rules or regulations adopted under Section 23334, notice of which has been given either by a sign on a vehicular crossing or by publication as provided in Section 23335.

23335. The Department of Transportation shall cause to be published and made available to the public at the tollgates of each vehicular crossing copies of those traffic laws and rules and regulations particularly applicable thereto.

23334. The Department of Transportation may adopt rules and regulations not inconsistent with this chapter for the control of traffic on any vehicular crossing to aid and insure the safe and orderly flow of traffic, and shall, so far as practicable, notify the public of the rules and regulations by signs on the vehicular crossing.

It was 2:30am and there was very little traffic on the bridge. On the first half of the bridge the left lane was closed and there was a CHP officer in a car in that lane at the S curve on the bridge. I slowed down to 40mph on the S curve and accelerated slightly after the S curve on the decline of the bridge. The presence of the CHP made me very aware of the speed at which I was driving. About half way between the S curve and the end of the bridge, I noticed a patrol car with its lights on behind me. My immediate reaction was to look at my speedometer which showed my speed was 55mph. The officer asked me if I knew how fast I was going and I said between 50-60 MPH. She stated that I was going 70 MPH. I asked how my speed was calculated and she said that she paced me after the S curve during the decline as I was approaching traffic. I am sure I was driving below 60 MPH.

I would like to contest the violation by doing a Trial By Written Declaration. However, I do know that I was going slightly over the speed limit, so I'm not sure if this works because I'm not saying I didnt break the law, I'm saying that the officer was not accurate in her assessment of how much over the speed limit I was traveling. I am assuming that the fine for going 70mph is greater than the fine for going 55-60. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Any advice on what I should do? Thank you for your time.

Krysick

Breaking the speed limit by any amount is against the law with the same penalties, it doesn't matter how much you were over the speed limit, the point is that you WERE over the speed limit. Now, you can still do the trial by declaration, just do NOT admit that you did break the speed limit, just say that you don't know how fast you were going. But.....since you have already admitted to the officer that you were aware that you were over the speed limit that will be used against you, so you're pretty much screwed.

I say you still plead no contest by TBD. Just make sure that you don't admit guilt. You can always hope that the officer doesn't respond and the case gets dismissed.

All of the info that I've given you is from a few days of research that I've done. I got a ticket for impeding traffic and I'm planning on fighting it through TBD as well. Good luck. :)

Last edited:

Isis1

didn't we do this one already?????

or does everyone who speeds on the Bay Bridge have this lengthy thread???

Isis1

How about instead of posting a useless comment you post information from those threads that might be of use to the original poster.

Thank you. :)
OOooO...we have a new moderator....interesting. oh. what do you know. turns out the OP CAN use the search function. ;)

I_Got_Banned

Let me post some information before I get caught by the "New Post Police"...

leftcoast,

I would like to contest the violation by doing a Trial By Written Declaration. However, I do know that I was going slightly over the speed limit, so I'm not sure if this works because I'm not saying I didnt break the law, I'm saying that the officer was not accurate in her assessment of how much over the speed limit I was traveling. I am assuming that the fine for going 70mph is greater than the fine for going 55-60. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Any advice on what I should do? Thank you for your time.
The accuracy of the officer's assessment of your speed is NOT as much an issue as it may seem in this case. You were cited in violation of a posted sign. Not in violation of a posted limit and by a certain number of mph's. So whether you were cited for going 1 mile over the limit or 50 miles over the limit, the fine will be the same... Should be approximately $212 irrespective of your speed.

Furthermore, the officer will submit a declaration wherein she states (something to the effect of) "I paced leftcoast at 70mph... my speedometer has been calibrated on such and such a date..."

You in turn, will submit a declaration wherein you state "I don't know how fast I was going but it sure wasn't 70mph"...

Who do you think the judge is going to believe?

Good luck!

Isis1

this is why i could have sworn i've seen this story before.

OP, didn't know how fast he was going, but wanted to insist he wasn't speeding. on the bay bridge.

i'm going to go find that link...brb.

Krysick

You in turn, will submit a declaration wherein you state "I don't know how fast I was going but it sure wasn't 70mph"...

Who do you think the judge is going to believe?

Good luck!
Since he originally told the officer when asked how fast he was going "50-60 mph" that will also be used in court as an admission of guilt.

Last edited:

I_Got_Banned

Since he originally told the officer when asked how fast he was going "50-56 mph" that will also be used in court as an admission of guilt.
Sure it can... If the officer made a notation on her copy of the citation about leftcost's statement, she will likely mention it in her testimony (either in her declaration or in open court if this goes to trial).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">