• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding of 100+

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Fitzy007

Is it possible to site someone for three violations two of which are the same thing but differ by how fast you were going? As well as be sited for a speed your vehicle can't achieve?

I was sited for 21658 A VC, 22348 B VC and 22349 A VC all on the same ticket for speeding at 121mph in a vehicle (06 GMC Canyon, 2.8l) that is governed at 98 mph from the factory with absolutely no modifications done to it. (Bone Stock)

Last edited:

RRevak

Don't preview your posts. For some reason this forum tends to get cranky when posters do that. Try typing again and just hitting submit.

FlyingRon

Even if the engine were rev limited to prevent exceeding 98MPH, I know of none that will actually apply the brakes that will stop the car from exceeding when going above 100+ when starting at 98 when there is a decline.

One citation is for failing to keep in a lane which is distinct. The going over 100+ and the exceeding the maximum safe speed can be charged together.
Nothing you've said doesn't indicated you're not guilty of all three.

TigerD

What state are you in?
It doesn't change the advice given, I just don't want to drive there until after you lose your license.

DC

You Are Guilty

I would think going in with manufacturer's proof of a governed top speed of 98mph would at least result in a slight reduction of the fees and costs you'll be paying. Whether speeding at 98 vs. 121 will let you keep your license is anyone's guess though.

davew128

I would think going in with manufacturer's proof of a governed top speed of 98mph would at least result in a slight reduction of the fees and costs you'll be paying. Whether speeding at 98 vs. 121 will let you keep your license is anyone's guess though.
The difference is that 100+ carries a mandatory 30 day suspension whereas under 100 does not. 100+ is a specific charge in CA.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Sometimes, if accelerating very heavily, my vehicle will continue to accelerate for a short period AFTER I release the accelerator pedal. Even with a 98-mph speed-governed car, it's possible to exceed 100.

Up to 121? Probably not.

You Are Guilty

I have a vague recollection of already telling this story, but back in the late 80s, I had a friend get caught for speeding in a 72(?) Bug. Something like 105+ in a 55, also downhill.

He digs up the manufacturer's specs showing it had a top speed of 82ish (I think it had the 1300, not 1600) and thus, the officer's radar must have been malfunctioning as no Bug could possibly go those speeds, downhill or otherwise.

Local townie judge ultimately dismisses the ticket outright.

Luckily, no one thought to ask friend if the stock 1300 was still in the car at the time of the offense first. :D

FlyingRon

A bug and a pickup truck are two different things. The 34 HP for the stock bug engine is a far cry from the 160 HP in his Canyon. If it can do 98, it can do 101.

TigerD

I have a vague recollection of already telling this story, but back in the late 80s, I had a friend get caught for speeding in a 72(?) Bug. Something like 105+ in a 55, also downhill.

He digs up the manufacturer's specs showing it had a top speed of 82ish (I think it had the 1300, not 1600) and thus, the officer's radar must have been malfunctioning as no Bug could possibly go those speeds, downhill or otherwise.

Local townie judge ultimately dismisses the ticket outright.

Luckily, no one thought to ask friend if the stock 1300 was still in the car at the time of the offense first. :D
I got popped once on the NY Throughway for 95 in a 1987 Suzuki Samurai.
The judge dismissed the ticket.

DC

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I was stopped for exhibition of speed in a 1974 Pinto. I talked my way out of that one ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">