• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lady_Chipper

What is the name of your state? PA

When does a speed limit sign activate? As soon as you see it or as soon as you pass it?

HomeGuru

Lady_Chipper said:
What is the name of your state? PA

When does a speed limit sign activate? As soon as you see it or as soon as you pass it?

**A: most signs do not activate although you must heed the posted speed limit as soon as you see the sign.

K

Kaz the Minotau

In PA the speed limit changes when you pass the sign not when you see it.

racer72

Kaz the Minotau said:
In PA the speed limit changes when you pass the sign not when you see it.
Not so fast there bucky, if you are in a 35 zone and the speed limit drops to 25, you better be going 25 when you reach the sign. That is where the 25 mph zone starts, not 50 feet beyond the sign.

K

Kaz the Minotau

I didn't say 50 feet past the sign... The speed limit changes at the sign so when you go past it you are in the new speed zone. When the speed is lowered enforcement can not begin until 500 feet into the zone.

Bravo8

Kaz is correct. The speed limit changes at the location of the sign, but enforcement is not possible until 500 feet past the reduction in speed.

In the other direction, going from a lower speed limit to a higher speed limit, then there is no provision for any "grace distance".

C

curt7974

500 Feet? Does anyone know if that is the same in Ohio?

K

Kaz the Minotau

There are a few exceptions to the "500 feet rule". The most frequent is the 15 mph school zone. Also included are, I believe, bridges, tunnels, and a few other "special locations".

Bravo8

True, True. I forgot to mention those exceptions, Kaz.

Also, a decrease in speed of more than 10 mph requires a "Reduced Speed Limit Ahead" sign. Just learned that the other week.........

Here's a question....

If the speed drops from 45 mph to 30 mph, and there is no "Reduced Speed" sign forewarning of the change, when does the speed limit become enforceable?

After the 500 feet? Well, that negates any purpose of the requirement for the "Reduced Speed" sign.

After the 2nd speed limit sign? If so, does the "500 feet rule" apply as well? Or can you enforce it at the sign since this is the second sign, and not really a decrease in speed limit?

Aaaaaahhhhhh.......the things we ponder when on midnights.......

L

loocpoc

A good reason why PA cops need radar and not that VASCAR crap... heehee...Damn I dont miss the state of Pa:eek:

K

Kaz the Minotau

VASCAR isn't that bad... :) But I would like to have radar also... I do like the ability to pace people with the VASCAR.

K

Kaz the Minotau

I don't remember the number off hand but I'll look it up when I get back to work tonight.

K

Kaz the Minotau

PA Vehicle Code 3368E That section also specifies the exceptions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">