• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding,2 stop signs, wreckless drvg ect....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Dyranty

What is the name of your state? New York

My problem is that, an ex-co-worker of mine asked to borrow my car.
Hey continued to annoy me about it all night long.
After 3 hours i finally decided that when i got a chance to go on my brake that maybe i'd let him go but first explain some things about my car, and that if anything happen he stole it. Which was a very dumb idea.

Well i got busy with customers, and my break was denied, so he said he was leaving, and i have already of given him my keys, as i ran after him out the back door, i was told to get back to dealing with customers, so i couldnt do anything about it.

He was already gone.
15 minutes later a cop walks in and asks me to come with him, saying he pulled over my co-worker.
Once getting there asks tells me what he was pulled over for, and ask's me if i wanted to press charges.
I asked him what would happen if i did or didnt, he explained.
Then suddenly a cop walked over to me and said.
You can't even press charges any more we are, he had no lisence.

So they asked for a statement, and i said well can all of this be my statement, "Sure" and he wrote down what happened, saying he took my car from work got pulled over, they came and got me and that's what happened.

A day later i called to check the charges and it was for petty larceny, for stealing my car, we are both 17 years old.

And i tried talking to the detectives, police, even the DA, but she was too busy for me.
And they all said don't worry about it, they didnt even care that i tried explaining what happend and he didnt steal it.
They said just wait till court.

Well now court is coming up may 20th and i dont know what to do.
Any advice?

the statement i got in the mail said:

un-authorized use of motor vehicle
wreckless driving
speeding
stop sign violation
stop sign violation
unlicensed driver

and i just want to make sure im doing the right thing, and need to know what i should do? i don't want this coming back to haunt me.

HomeGuru

Dyranty said:
What is the name of your state? New York

My problem is that, an ex-co-worker of mine asked to borrow my car.
Hey continued to annoy me about it all night long.
After 3 hours i finally decided that when i got a chance to go on my brake that maybe i'd let him go but first explain some things about my car, and that if anything happen he stole it. Which was a very dumb idea.

Well i got busy with customers, and my break was denied, so he said he was leaving, and i have already of given him my keys, as i ran after him out the back door, i was told to get back to dealing with customers, so i couldnt do anything about it.

He was already gone.
15 minutes later a cop walks in and asks me to come with him, saying he pulled over my co-worker.
Once getting there asks tells me what he was pulled over for, and ask's me if i wanted to press charges.
I asked him what would happen if i did or didnt, he explained.
Then suddenly a cop walked over to me and said.
You can't even press charges any more we are, he had no lisence.

So they asked for a statement, and i said well can all of this be my statement, "Sure" and he wrote down what happened, saying he took my car from work got pulled over, they came and got me and that's what happened.

A day later i called to check the charges and it was for petty larceny, for stealing my car, we are both 17 years old.

And i tried talking to the detectives, police, even the DA, but she was too busy for me.
And they all said don't worry about it, they didnt even care that i tried explaining what happend and he didnt steal it.
They said just wait till court.

Well now court is coming up may 20th and i dont know what to do.
Any advice?

the statement i got in the mail said:

un-authorized use of motor vehicle
wreckless driving
speeding
stop sign violation
stop sign violation
unlicensed driver

and i just want to make sure im doing the right thing, and need to know what i should do? i don't want this coming back to haunt me.
**A: advice- have your friend hire an attorney for both of you.

D

Dyranty

i havent even talked to him because we dont work together anymore, much less even talk.
We havent since that night.

HomeGuru

Re: .........

Dyranty said:
i havent even talked to him because we dont work together anymore, much less even talk.
We havent since that night.
**A: so what. The court does not want to hear excuses.

R

Rowbear

You should not worry about your friend, he took your car without your permission. If you told the cops the same thing you wrote in your message he is gulity. You need to go to court and tell the truth. The court will not throw the book at your friend but provide a needed lesson that will help him in the future.

D

Dyranty

Friend

He, is not my friend, as matter of fact we are not in contact at all, and outside of work never were.

I'm a witness to all of that and was told (yes second hand knowledge is bad i know) that he is going to try to deny it all, if so and they try to prove it didnt happen is there any way that i can be held at fault, or since im just a witness it will just mean the court being easier on him?

Thanks.

R

Rowbear

The only thing he can deny is the unauthorized use of vehicle. You need to tell the truth on what was said and what was done, they will figure out his guilt or innocence. The fact that he had your keys shows the court that there was some consent in the usage. Regardless on whether you consented the use of your car he is still responsible for the moving violations and his unlicensed use of your car. There should be no issue with your record and you will not be charged with anything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">