• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding with 20+ on a 15mph limit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AZCode

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Arizona

I just was pulled over this morning in a temporary school zone (they put signs during certain times of the day) for allegedly speeding. He said I was going fast and I said no I dont think I was, till the end of the zone where I started accelerating. He said he watched me going into the zone (total 30-40 feet) and I entered fast. I was crusing with 20-25 and dropped to 15 in the beginning of the zone. He was on the other side of a road (appx 20 feet away from the lane I was in) said I was going with 24-25 probably but he said he'll give me a huge break and give me a regular speeding ticket instead of a double-fine and put 20+ for my speed on the complaint. The limit was 15mph and my question is what are my chances if I fight it at court myself? or with an attorney? how accurate can an officer be at visual estimation of speed at such close distances and slow speeds? Is his judgement of 5+mph in these conditions enough to convict me of speeding? and it writes "OR" for the speed measurement device, does anyone know what that stands for?

Thank you all for your advice in advance!!

John

The Occultist

We don't really do "odds" here, but I'll still hazard the guess that you will not have good odds fighting this on your own. You need to look into retaining a good traffic lawyer. Local attorneys know best what the courts want to hear, and as such present the highest potential in yielding the most favorable results. Many attorneys will offer free/cheap consultations, so you should take advantage and sit down with a couple to see what insight they may have to offer.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Arizona

I just was pulled over this morning in a temporary school zone (they put signs during certain times of the day) for allegedly speeding. He said I was going fast and I said no I dont think I was, till the end of the zone where I started accelerating. He said he watched me going into the zone (total 30-40 feet) and I entered fast. I was crusing with 20-25 and dropped to 15 in the beginning of the zone. He was on the other side of a road (appx 20 feet away from the lane I was in) said I was going with 24-25 probably but he said he'll give me a huge break and give me a regular speeding ticket instead of a double-fine and put 20+ for my speed on the complaint. The limit was 15mph and my question is what are my chances if I fight it at court myself? or with an attorney? how accurate can an officer be at visual estimation of speed at such close distances and slow speeds? Is his judgement of 5+mph in these conditions enough to convict me of speeding? and it writes "OR" for the speed measurement device, does anyone know what that stands for?

Thank you all for your advice in advance!!

John
You're supposed to slow down BEFORE you enter the zone. It sounds like the officers estimate was spot-on!

AZCode

You're supposed to slow down BEFORE you enter the zone. It sounds like the officers estimate was spot-on!
Sorry for the confusion, but I meant I was around 15 in the beginning of the zone.

I guess its not such an easy case.

Can make the decision of getting a lawyer or not at the court? after checking to see if the officer is going to show up or not? because it seems like hiring a lawyer will cost much more than the fine and any monatery effects on my insurance for a few years.

I_Got_Banned

Sorry for the confusion, but I meant I was around 15 in the beginning of the zone.
Good recovery... had this been court, you would be writing your check right about NOW!
Can make the decision of getting a lawyer or not at the court? after checking to see if the officer is going to show up or not?
That would be nice, wouldn't it... Typically if you opt to go to trial, and assuming you show up (without an attorney) and the officer does indeed show up, you obviously can ask for a continuance. Chances are... The Judge will turn your request down and ask you to proceed. If you are not ready... there you will be... Writing that check again...

because it seems like hiring a lawyer will cost much more than the fine and any monatery effects on my insurance for a few years.
Things are not always what they seem. Have you even called any attorneys to see how much they charge? Have you any idea how much "monetary effect" a school zone speed violation will have on you insurance?

AZCode

Good recovery... had this been court, you would be writing your check right about NOW!

That would be nice, wouldn't it... Typically if you opt to go to trial, and assuming you show up (without an attorney) and the officer does indeed show up, you obviously can ask for a continuance. Chances are... The Judge will turn your request down and ask you to proceed. If you are not ready... there you will be... Writing that check again...

Things are not always what they seem. Have you even called any attorneys to see how much they charge? Have you any idea how much "monetary effect" a school zone speed violation will have on you insurance?

yes thats why I am here in this forum trying to find answers to those questions. one might prepare and get a lawyer and show up with a lawyer on-the-fly at court without filing a motion beforehand and proceed if the officer shows up. and the lawyer can move to case to a continuance from there on.

and yes i called a few attorneys and I got anything from $500 to $5000. which are 2X to 20X of the fine. so I dont know what else one can conclude from this? insurance increase "if any" depends on your car and coverage but it certainly wont be on the order of thousands per a few years of coverage. actually in my case I can estimate it as $500 for 3 years max or less.
still, the point is, why would I commmit to something that I havent? and even so, is the situation bad enough to risk spending more money and resources for a slim chance of dismissal? just trying to answer these questions with people who might have experience with all this. no need to get aggressive

I_Got_Banned

no need to get aggressive
My response was "aggressive"?

How about you come back when you're not so emotionally sensitive!!! For the time being, I'll end my sentences with a BIG GRIN instead of "periods" :D (pun intended) :D

OK?

Also, sounds to me like you already have you numbers figured out and your mind made up :D so even if anyone, experienced or not, whispered sweet nothings in your ear, it won't change much :D

Oh, and happy Valentine's Day :D

AZCode

My response was "aggressive"?

How about you come back when you're not so emotionally sensitive!!! For the time being, I'll end my sentences with a BIG GRIN instead of "periods" :D (pun intended) :D

OK?

Also, sounds to me like you already have you numbers figured out and your mind made up :D so even if anyone, experienced or not, whispered sweet nothings in your ear, it won't change much :D

Oh, and happy Valentine's Day :D
thanks bud (no pun intended)

Hey There

For information on contesting a speeding ticket
Google: Speeding Ticket FAQ
:Speeding ticket--plea bargaining or fighting
A local library can be contacted on what they can provide regarding contesting a traffic ticket.

Best Regards,
Hey There

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">