• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding 31km/h over speed limit, what to do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ultimatum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Outside U.S.

Hey guys,

I'm from Canada (Ontario) actually. This summer in august I received a ticket 31KM/h over the speed limit (50KM/h). The officer came up asked for my license, left, came back after 10 minutes, gave me a ticket saying I could pay or show up to the court and try getting the fine reduced. My fine was $224 and 4 points. This is my first ticket 'cause I usually drive according to speed limit.

Now, I don't mind paying the fine, but I don't want the 4 points on my driving record. Is there anything I can do in the court to get the points off? My court is on August of 2009. Thanks in advance.

- ultimatum

The Occultist

Sorry, but this site is for US law only. We don't know Canadian laws here, and any attempt from us to help you would likely involve the use of Google, so you should go ahead and just do that yourself. :cool:

ultimatum

Hell, we don't even know how fast a KM/H is
Is that a joke? Did you go to school? or do you not have cars imported from other countries?

EL OH EL, He/she thought that by changing that ^ someone would feel obligated to answer!!!
I'm guessing your knowledge ends on the U.S. border!

===================================

Laws are different in every country, but court actions are pretty much the same. General information or advice to approaching this situation would be appreciated.

Note: It would be wise to put the country constraint in the title of the website.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Laws are different in every country, but court actions are pretty much the same.
By that logic, I could look up some information on what you should do in court in Afghanistan if you want.

General information or advice to approaching this situation would be appreciated.
Okay. A general answer that applies to both countries would be 'ask the court to not give you four points'.

Note: It would be wise to put the country constraint in the title of the website.
The "Only US Law" statement in the text box should have been a pretty good clue.

Here's a link to the laws and statutes of Canada.
h ttp://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/notice/index.html?redirect=%2Fen%2Findex.html

ultimatum

Okay. A general answer that applies to both countries would be 'ask the court to not give you four points'.
Thank you.

The "Only US Law" statement in the text box should have been a pretty good clue.
I was referring to the main page so the users don't have to go throught the registering process, to find out later that the forum is limited to one country when trying to post a thread.

Here's a link to the laws and statutes of Canada.
h ttp://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/notice/index.html?redirect=%2Fen%2Findex.html
Thank you.

The Occultist

Is that a joke? Did you go to school? or do you not have cars imported from other countries?
We do, yet the speedometers on those vehicles still display speeds in mph! :rolleyes:

As far as not realizing this site is for the US, most countries outside of the US do not utilize a ".com" extension.

racer72

I was referring to the main page so the users don't have to go throught the registering process, to find out later that the forum is limited to one country when trying to post a thread.
It's in the TOS that everyone is suppose to read and agree to when registering to use this site.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">