• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

speeding?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stevefitz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
Please tell me if this sounds legal or if i was singled out.
I'm on my sportbike doing 60mph in a posted 55 mph on route 19 in pinellas county. it is rush hour traffic at 3:30 pm. There is a dot cop about a half mile up the highway. i slow down a little bit. The cop slows down alot . By the time i reach the cop he yells out the window pull over then hits his lights. He says he has me on radar doing 70 mph. I ask him to prove it and he says it has been around since 03'. (Back window radar while the cop car is in motion). I think this is a form of intrapment. why didn't he turn the lights on as soon as it showed on the radar? he waited to see what kind of bike it was when i got up next to the car. He said the posted limit was 55 but really it was 50 so he doestn't even know the posted limit he is "patroling". I am going to fight this ticket. Just wanted some feed back on if i can win or if i am wasting my time.

Last edited by a moderator:

I_Got_Banned

Please tell me if this sounds legal or if i was singled out.
Its legal!
I ask him to prove it
He doesn't have to prove it to you. He only has to prove it in court. And when the time comes, I'm sure he will.
I think this is a form of intrapment.
Its neither intrapment nor entrapment.

why didn't he turn the lights on as soon as it showed on the radar?
... and give you the opportunity to take an exit and run? There's nothing in the vehicle code that says he has to turn his lights on at a particular point in time.
He said the posted limit was 55 but really it was 50 so he doestn't even know the posted limit he is "patroling". I am going to fight this ticket.
60 in 55, 70 in 55, 60 in 50 or 70 in 50 are all "speeding"... so no matter what the posted limit is, you were still speeding.

The Occultist

Even if he did actually single you out, as long as you were breaking the law there is nothing wrong with that. You can only catch one fish at a time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">