• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alphabeta

I have a similar case, was going 42/25. court date in a few months. if i take the drivers course, pass, take the certificate when i go to court and show that do you think i can get the ticket dismisseD?? ive had a clean record for 8+ years.

FlyingRon

I have a similar case, was going 42/25. court date in a few months. if i take the drivers course, pass, take the certificate when i go to court and show that do you think i can get the ticket dismisseD?? ive had a clean record for 8+ years.
8 years, that's about twice as long agoi as the previous reply in the thread. You really should have started your own.

Are you charged in Virginia?

alphabeta

start my own?? yes i was charged in virginia. also it was in a residential area...do you know what the fine woudl be cause he put down a code that wasn't on the sheet that describes your penalty fee.

asiny

start my own?? yes i was charged in virginia. also it was in a residential area...do you know what the fine woudl be cause he put down a code that wasn't on the sheet that describes your penalty fee.
What was the citation code?

asiny

g.46.2-878
How was your speed measured?
What did the officer say to you during the stop?

I believe this is this will be the section that applies to you;
§ 46.2-878.2. Maximum speed limits in certain residence districts of counties, cities, and towns; penalty.

Operation of any motor vehicle in excess of a maximum speed limit established for a highway in a residence district of a county, city, or town, when indicated by appropriately placed signs displaying the maximum speed limit and the penalty for violations, shall be unlawful and constitute a traffic infraction punishable by a fine of $200, in addition to other penalties provided by law. No portion of the fine shall be suspended unless the court orders 20 hours of community service.

FlyingRon

I doubt he is going to get hit with the 2.

As for mitigating it, it very much depends on what judge you're up before and what your natural (i.e., before you took the VADIP course) points was.

It used to be that the judges up in Loudoun used to let you do VADIP to have the charge dismissed if you were +5. Now they'll frequently just dismiss the fine but leave the points and the court costs. You can still do the VADIP to get the points back up, but you're still stuck with the conviction.

alphabeta

insurance and speeding ticket

so i got a speeding ticket for 42/25. but the judge didn't give me any points because of my good driving record. so i still ahd to pay the fine, but im wondering if my car insurance would still go up even though i didn't get points?

--------[10/28/11] actually looking at it online they charged me with "FAIL PAY FULL TIME & ATTENTION " so does THAT effect my insurance?

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Points only mean something to DMV. It is still a speeding conviction on your driving record.

So, yes, you can still get hammered by your insurance company.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">