• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

speeding 5mph (paced) and more....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joshoowa

What is the name of your state? texas

i exited off a major freeway and made a left at the upcoming intersection. as im traveling down this street a cop pulls out infront of me and we began to travel down this road together. im behind him for the most part until i notice he was going slower. its a 4 lane street, 2 going south and 2 going north; hes on the left lane so i signal over to the right and increase speed but as i switched over he begins to speed up too. so now i'm abotu 3/4 car length ahead of him and my intersection is coming up i speed up even more to get over as i clearly had more than a car length inbetween us i signal over and turned off.. well he follows me and pulls me over.

get a speeding ticket for 5mphs over, no insurrance (expired), and no front license plate.
he asked me why i was speeding i told him i thought the posted speed limit was 45mphs.

on my citation it said he paced me at 50mphs but gave me 45mphs, i know i can argue that the police car was not probally calibrated i.e. tires wear, tire pressure, and odo calibrated.

so heres some background information:
when i exited the freeway and made a left at the intersection.. going south bound which i was had no posted speedlimit. let me rephrase, from when i turned off from (the major freeway) to where i was pulled over there was no posted speedlimit sign (a total of about 3/4 of a mile). the cop told me the limit was 40mphs.

now on top of that, from the intersection of the major freeway going northbound on this street the posted speed limit is 45mphs.

i hardly visit this part of town, how am i suppose to know the speed limit when there wasnt a sign? i would never speed, more improtantly i would never speed infront of a police officer.

now for no front license plate, i had mine on my dashboard because i got into a minor fender bender/hit and run at my airport parkign garage, and at which my front license plate "fell off". i did not file a report because it was a hit and run, there was no way i could find the person who hit me. since my accident i did have my car repaired but no license plate was installed. just sitting on my dash.

is there anything i can do about this?

im going to the county clerk to get my no insurrance dismissed bc i did have insurrance at the time just did not have my updated poilcy card with me.

any advice is greatly appreciated.

joshoowa said:
What is the name of your state? texas
is there anything i can do about this?
im going to the county clerk to get my no insurrance dismissed bc i did have insurrance at the time just did not have my updated poilcy card with me.
any advice is greatly appreciated.
First, fix everything that was broke or missing. While the law requires the license plate to be in place, and the proof of insurance in your posession, absence of that will sometime be forgiven if you fix it. As to the speeding charge, if it can be fixed you'll likely need a lawyer or some statute to back your case. Sounds like that charge is likely to stick. Advice: it's real hard to drive 3/4 of a mile without doing something a cop can judge to be illegal...meaning that passing the fellow on the right, going faster than him, changing lanes in front of him is illadvised.

joshoowa

well went into court today to handle my no insurrance ticket... they asked me what i wanted to do about the other 2 tickets, i told them i had not decided yet. judge told me u cant do that so i was like ok i requested jury trial, im hoping the people will be more lenient.

sukharev

Put the license plate back on, take a picture. Make sure you have a repair bill for the fender bender. During trial, submit this as evidence for your story about the front plate.

Go back to exit from freeway, if there are no signs, take a few pictures or shoot a movie with camcoder (copy to both tape and DVD, to be prepared to show it in court on whatever they have). Submit this as evidence to your story about the speed limit.

You already know how to handle the no insurance ticket.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">