• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding 60/40 contest or not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

canonball

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Illinois

I got my very first speeding ticket in 20 years of driving. I was tagged at 60/40. I dont believe i was going that fast, traffic was very light.....just my car, another car, and the unmarked car behind me that turned out to be an officer inside. What possible defense can I use if I'm to contest and appear in court? Do officers show up in court? Can they pull you over and issue ticket in an unmarked police car?

Officer asked me if I have a bond I could give him so he didnt have to take my driver license. I said 'no', so he ended up taking my driver license. What kind/type of bond can i offer in case i get pull over in the future?

racer72

What possible defense can I use if I'm to contest and appear in court?
The only defense to a speeding ticket is that you weren't speeding. What proof do you have?

Do officers show up in court?
If required by state law.

Can they pull you over and issue ticket in an unmarked police car?
What makes you think they can't? Why would a police officer waste his time pulling you over and issuing you a citation that was not legal? The simple answer is yes they can or they wouldn't do it.

Officer asked me if I have a bond I could give him so he didnt have to take my driver license.
Never heard of that before.

What kind/type of bond can i offer in case i get pull over in the future?
You shouldn't be driving without a valid license in your possession. Looks like you will require alternate forms of transportation till you can post bond or pay the ticket.

My State: PA

I was going through some back messages and found this one, so I don't know if you dealt with this but I must respond to take exception to a reply by racer72

The only defense to a speeding ticket is that you weren't speeding. What proof do you have?
I would beg to differ with this. It is up to the state to prove you were speeding. Which means the evidence must have a proper basis. The law is technical, thank goodness. I must repeat what I have said in other posts: A speeding ticket is an accusation not a conviction.

As far as the bond is concerned, if you belong to AAA, you can use it as bond.

efflandt

Illinois takes your license or bailbond card (like AAA or other motor club) until you either settle the fine or go to court. If you get stopped again you use the ticket for ID, but not sure how you handle it from there without a bailbond card.

Wisconsin takes Visa or MasterCard right in the squad car if you do not want to surrender your license or bailbond card. Fortunately it has been years since that has happened to me (I try not to be the rabbit in the fast lane).

As far as unmarked cars, don't be surprised if you get pulled over by a Mustang or Camaro or Tahoe, or even a Volvo someday.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">