• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding, 69/45 clocked by Laser/Lidar

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bigjohnstud4200

What is the name of your state?VA

Time of day: 06:30am, Thursday morning rush traffic.
Speedinig: 69/45, 82 1 6(46 2 870)
General District Court - TRAFFIC (did not write me up for Criminal)
County - FairFax County
Vehicle - 03 BMW 3 Series, Silver (a dime a dozen here)

I have a couple questions. The first is, when the cop pulled me over he showed me the speed on the laser/lidar detector at 69mph, with a distance of 15964ft. At that distance, that's over 3 flippin miles!!!, anyone think I can fight that? How in the hell can a cop accurately identify me at that distance with such a common color vehicle. I'm sure at that distance, it would be hard to tell Silver from white, or hell... even 4 door BMW from a 4 door dually truck! Secondly, I've been reading and I understand laser/lidar measures the distance from the detector to the target and back to the detector, calculates that and divides it by 2, Layman's explaination. Even if the number indicated on my ticket of 15964ft were to be divided, that would still mean his last reading was at over 1.5 miles away! The last question is that, the road I was travelling is 55mph everywhere except for this one section of roadway. If they were to stick with the cops numbers, and I was clocked 3 miles back I should be elible for a change in speeding since at 3 miles back the speed is 55, right?

What are my chances of getting outta this one?

Thanks,

BJS

HomeGuru

bigjohnstud4200 said:
What is the name of your state?VA

Time of day: 06:30am, Thursday morning rush traffic.
Speedinig: 69/45, 82 1 6(46 2 870)
General District Court - TRAFFIC (did not write me up for Criminal)
County - FairFax County
Vehicle - 03 BMW 3 Series, Silver (a dime a dozen here)

I have a couple questions. The first is, when the cop pulled me over he showed me the speed on the laser/lidar detector at 69mph, with a distance of 15964ft. At that distance, that's over 3 flippin miles!!!, anyone think I can fight that? How in the hell can a cop accurately identify me at that distance with such a common color vehicle. I'm sure at that distance, it would be hard to tell Silver from white, or hell... even 4 door BMW from a 4 door dually truck! Secondly, I've been reading and I understand laser/lidar measures the distance from the detector to the target and back to the detector, calculates that and divides it by 2, Layman's explaination. Even if the number indicated on my ticket of 15964ft were to be divided, that would still mean his last reading was at over 1.5 miles away! The last question is that, the road I was travelling is 55mph everywhere except for this one section of roadway. If they were to stick with the cops numbers, and I was clocked 3 miles back I should be elible for a change in speeding since at 3 miles back the speed is 55, right?

What are my chances of getting outta this one?

Thanks,

BJS
**A: Ok, based upon your facts and taken into consideration giving you the benefit of the doubt, let's use the 55 mph speed limit as the threshold rather than the 45mph. Where you not speeding by say 14 miles per hour over the speed limit?

B

bigjohnstud4200

Yes, I was speeding and according to my in car navigation my top speed in that area was 65, which I have no problem with. I took a risk by speeding with the flow of traffic and I got popped. However, I do have a problem with being accussed of 69 in a 45, criminal ticket, with the officer reporting my speed 3 miles back in a zone that would have been a normal ticket and not a criminal speed. Getting out of the ticket all together would be a bonus, my minimum goal is to make the law prove that a) he got me and not the 3 other cars in the 3 other lanes of traffic, or the 50 cars behind us and b) reduce my ticket from a speeding in a 45mph zone to a 55mph zone.

HomeGuru

bigjohnstud4200 said:
Yes, I was speeding and according to my in car navigation my top speed in that area was 65, which I have no problem with. I took a risk by speeding with the flow of traffic and I got popped. However, I do have a problem with being accussed of 69 in a 45, criminal ticket, with the officer reporting my speed 3 miles back in a zone that would have been a normal ticket and not a criminal speed. Getting out of the ticket all together would be a bonus, my minimum goal is to make the law prove that a) he got me and not the 3 other cars in the 3 other lanes of traffic, or the 50 cars behind us and b) reduce my ticket from a speeding in a 45mph zone to a 55mph zone.

**A: the officer will testify that the speed limit was 45 and it was.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">