• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding 78/55 in Fairfax, VA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vatiburon

Hello. Any advice would be appreciated for my situation. I received a ticket for 78/55 on I-66. It was on a clear sunny day during the weekend (low traffic). The officer declared it as speeding, not reckless driving given that this is my first offense. I am 23 years old, with a +5 driving record, with no speeding tickets in the past. My main goal is to avoid future car insurance increases so my question is this:

1. Should I plead guilty/no contest and ask for traffic school? If so, is the judge more lenient if you say guilty over no contest?

2. Assuming I get traffic school, will the offense be taken off my record?

3. Plead not guilty and use a defense such as the average speed on the speed survey is higher than the posted limit of 55mph?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Jersy

Looks familiar but mind you are in Fairfax court!!

I saw familiar situation (79/55). Couple things:-

1. best bet is go plead no contest - atleast it will go with regular fine + court costs around $75. If you can prepay it, it is better & no headache.
2. but there is a chance judge might impose less fine than usual b/z of +5 driving record. going to school does't help here or not required.
3. no smarting before court!! that is usually reserved for attorneys!! pl don't show up some surveys or argue with high tone!!
4. insurance do go up b/z sooner the courts are going to send anyway relay it & they will cometo know of it. Be prepared for it.
5. Last you are lucky really, generally 75+ in 55 zone are given reckless tkt. thank you stars. This is really a wake up call for you. I know you will go slow in the same area when going next time, but tkts are sometimes are our speed breakers. Try going at posted speeds at all times & all places so no hastle! I have seen handling post mortem is more stressful than pre handling. Take care friend.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">