• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding: 80 mph in a 55

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mattb2006

State: North Carolina

Im a 17 year male who got a speeding ticket doing 80 in a 55, i thought i was in a 65 when i got pulled. I was just wondering what my odds of getting out of it were, any ways to get off, and what kinds of fines/penalties i will have to deal with.
thanks, matt

fedcop110

So you thought that you were speeding 15 mph over the limit instead of 25 over huh? I wouldn't use that as a defense in court. Were you charged with speeding or reckless driving? There is a big difference in the two with regards to fines/penalties. You probably don't have that good a shot at getting out of the ticket at those speeds and without you disputing the speed at which the officer says you were going. You might look at some sort of diversion/defensive driving. It all depends on the charge and your driving record. If it is a reckless charge you might want to look at getting a lawyer. Slow down.

If you have no previous violations or complicating factors, a good lawyer can negotiate a PJC or plea it down to a 64 in a 55 (no insurance points).

You will be getting a lot of letters in the mail offering to help. I'd recommed checking around for a referal. People who drive a lot for their work (real estate agents, sales people, etc.) usually have a lawyer they work with for traffic tickets. A lawyer with an office near the court house who knows the judge, DA and officers is a good sign.

Fine + court costs will be around $150 and the lawyer will cost $300 - $1,000. This is big business in NC.

Do nothing an your are risking a licence suspension, a misdemeanor on your record and doubling of your insurance for three years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">