• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding 87 mph in a 55 Construction Zone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beta123

Speeding 87 mph in a 55 Construction Zone - First Offense

What is the name of your state?
Georgia

I am 24 years old and have been driving now for almost 9 years and have never received a speeding ticket until now. I was really sleepy, only a total of 12 hours of sleep in the past 4 nights and wasn't paying attention to the speed limit. I was just trying to stay awake to get home. I was caught by the police doing 87mph in a 55 mph construction zone, that's 32mph over. My court date is in a few weeks and I need some advice as to what I can do. Is there any options for me since this is my first speeding ticket? Also, I don't know what the ticket amount is yet. What is the typical penalty for something like this?

Please advise!

Last edited:

JETX

beta123 said:
I was really sleepy, only a total of 12 hours of sleep in the past 4 nights and wasn't paying attention to the speed limit.
Bad news..... do NOT make that admission in court.

I was just trying to stay awake to get home. I was caught by the police doing 87mph in a 55 mph construction zone, that's 32mph over. My court date is in a few weeks and I need some advice as to what I can do. Is there any options for me since this is my first speeding ticket?
Yep. You might be able to keep your driving license.

Also, I don't know what the ticket amount is yet. What is the typical penalty for something like this?
Contact the court.

JETX

beta123 said:
What kind of fines and penalty am I looking at?
Contact the court. They are the ONLY ones who can answer this.

Also, am I at risk for possible jail time?
Pretty much ANYTIME you break the law, you are 'at risk' for possible jail time.... though it is unlikely in this case.

djsmershy

"Slow for the cone Zone"

At least in California, all fines are DOUBLED for construction zone violations. So you may want to check that out too.
GL bud!

JETX

beta123 said:
Thanks for the advice! I have contacted the court but they do not have the records yet.
They don't need the records to answer:
"I was ticketed for driving 87 mph in a 55 mph construction zone. What is the fine amount?"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">