• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding 93mph in a 55mph zone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

boboyii

Yes, I was clocked going 93mph on a 55mph highway, at night, with a police radar. Normally, regular traffic flow is about 65 - 70mph, but it won't look that way to the judge. Anyway, I'll have to show in court sometime in February. I know, its serious.

What should I expect to be the consequence for such a violation: I've assumed i'll get a heavy fine, upwards of $300, but what else should I expect? license suspension? possible jailtime? and should I get an attorney? People say I'm lucky that I didn't get arrested on the spot & this is the first time i've ever received a speeding violation.

efflandt

You deleted the important question: "What is the name of your state?"

In many states you might also automatically get "reckless driving" for more than 20 or 30 over the limit. What else happens to you or whether you even get a suspension depends upon the state, your age, and driving record.

boboyii

oh i'm in Illinois! close to chicago, but I was stopped by the sherrif's cops of south holland, not by chicago police.

Here in NY, few years ago, I got clocked at 87 in a 50. I had to pay a fine of 300 and got a 6 month suspension. Take into account though, that I would get speeding tickets very often back then, so it all added up. A restricted lisence got me through the hard times though.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Here in NY, few years ago, I got clocked at 87 in a 50. I had to pay a fine of 300 and got a 6 month suspension. Take into account though, that I would get speeding tickets very often back then, so it all added up. A restricted lisence got me through the hard times though.
How does that have ANYTHING to do with Illinois?

boboyii

...ok i'm concerned now. But thanks for the info, Charles. No one here knows about laws in Illinois?

Which does absolutely nothing for our OP - but thanks for contributing and clouding the issue!
Yeah, of course, because in his state they execute you for doing what he did, but in my state they just give you a slap on the wrist. :rolleyes: Now if that was the case, I would obviosly be clouding the issue. Posting a similar situation that occured to me in my state in the same country is only clouding the issue for you apparently. I apologize.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yeah, of course, because in his state they execute you for doing what he did, but in my state they just give you a slap on the wrist. :rolleyes: Now if that was the case, I would obviosly be clouding the issue. Posting a similar situation that occured to me in my state in the same country is only clouding the issue for you apparently. I apologize.
Chuck --- Get it through your head. The laws in YOUR state are NOT the same as the laws in HIS state. If you are willing to research and post information pertinent to ILLINOIS, then feel free. Otherwise, please don't continue your improper posting.

Chuck --- Get it through your head. The laws in YOUR state are NOT the same as the laws in HIS state. If you are willing to research and post information pertinent to ILLINOIS, then feel free. Otherwise, please don't continue your improper posting.
I hope your not referring to me, cause the name is Bronsen.. Charles Bronsen.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">