• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

speeding in AZ on rented car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

infocus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

My friend rented a car and was driving through Phoenix, AZ when he saw a flash from a police camera truck (http://camerafraud.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/100_1218.jpg)

The camera only flashes when a violation occurs. So the question is, what can happen? Again, the vehicle was rented in another state. And he was not even the registered renter of the vehicle.

FlyingRon

The rental agency will get the ticket. They will pay it and then charge the credit card of whoever was the person who rented the car. That is what the person who rented the car agreed to when they rented it.

infocus

This technology is manufactured by redflex and it's raking in a fortune for them and for the state!

So this ticket is not a point on a record, but merely a fine?

There is always a chance there will never be a ticket mailed. We will find out!

The Occultist

There is always a chance there will never be a ticket mailed. We will find out!
The ticket will indeed be mailed. It will not be mailed to the OP (or his friend), but it will indeed be mailed to the rental agency. The agency will put up no fight whatsoever, and will pay the ticket. What happens next is up to the specific agency's policies, but likely the two options here are: invoice the person that rented the vehicle, or simply just charge the credit card they have on file (there may or may not be a notice sent out regarding this charge).

Z

zudnic

Most states with camera ticketing have no financial responsibility excemption for having to pay those tickets law for rental companies. The renta car company could identify you in some places, in others its not necessary. Id check to see if AZ code does this and if the rental company has to identify the renter.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Most states with camera ticketing have no financial responsibility excemption for having to pay those tickets law for rental companies. The renta car company could identify you in some places, in others its not necessary. Id check to see if AZ code does this and if the rental company has to identify the renter.
Zudnic - please include a disclaimer so that people looking for REAL advice will know that you have no clue.

poncho

Zudnic - please include a disclaimer so that people looking for REAL advice will know that you have no clue.
I have a law degree. Retired lawyer. Fighting a rental car charge for camera ticket in Scottsdale Arizona. State law exempts rental car companies from those tickets. They also do not report the driver because they cannot be certain that it was the driver on the rental contract who committed the act. Since it was a photo ticket, chances are this was another renter, they can't be sure 100%. If the renter does receive a ticket, mailed ticket fighting rules apply.

Nativity

I have a law degree. Retired lawyer. Fighting a rental car charge for camera ticket in Scottsdale Arizona. State law exempts rental car companies from those tickets. They also do not report the driver because they cannot be certain that it was the driver on the rental contract who committed the act. Since it was a photo ticket, chances are this was another renter, they can't be sure 100%. If the renter does receive a ticket, mailed ticket fighting rules apply.
You can't be serious? The person that rented the car signed an agreement that most likely states if any tickers are accured during the time they are renting the vehicle they will be responsible for paying it. Even if they allowed another person to drive they are still liable because only the person whose name is on the contract is to be driving the vehicle.

poncho

You can't be serious? The person that rented the car signed an agreement that most likely states if any tickers are accured during the time they are renting the vehicle they will be responsible for paying it. Even if they allowed another person to drive they are still liable because only the person whose name is on the contract is to be driving the vehicle.
The rental car company itself cannot be held liable for any tickets that are accrued by a renter by law in most states and Arizona. It's not a rental car contract argument. The rental car company identified me as the driver. The city of Scottsdale mailed me the ticket. The rental car company accrued tickets only applies; if the renter fails to pay, respond, etcetera and the court with jurisdiction decides to make the registered owner pay. Since most states exempt rental car companies from liability on tickets committed by renters. Rental car companies usually charge a surcharge to the renter for notifying the court they are not liable. *

One difference between mine and OP. I rented my car in and it had AZ plates. Most times out of state tickets by camera are not even processed because of the in person service argument. Most times it municipal code authorizing the camera, lack personnel jurisdiction the other argument that has won in these cases.

*rental desks charge for additional drivers being added on the contract. If you read the full agreement most times its optional to call to add another driver. Your not authorized to give the keys to someone under 25.

poncho

Oh, should point out why I' am on the forum. Sometimes state legislature's pass new laws to close loop hole's and make their intentions more clear. It ticks judges off when people argue on old methods that no longer work! So check and confirm any defensive strategy before trying it in court! ;)

The Occultist

Poncho, I just wish to say that I appreciate your disclaimer! Few enough people are willing to offer the fact that they may be mistaken based on logic that may no longer apply, so good for you, and I truly hope you continue posting on this site to offer whatever insight you may have! :)

That being said, I do have fairly recent insight/knowledge (none of which I can prove at this point, so please feel free to take this with a grain of salt) to support my earlier post on this thread.

poncho

Poncho, I just wish to say that I appreciate your disclaimer! Few enough people are willing to offer the fact that they may be mistaken based on logic that may no longer apply, so good for you, and I truly hope you continue posting on this site to offer whatever insight you may have! :)

That being said, I do have fairly recent insight/knowledge (none of which I can prove at this point, so please feel free to take this with a grain of salt) to support my earlier post on this thread.
The "problem" with photo camera tickets in general. Once case law established a new fight, states turn around and change the rules. Like most state's do exempt rental car companies from renter liability and this includes giving the car keys over to someone not on the contract. A lot of places have added into their law rental car company must identify the last rental customer for the date of the alleged offense.

Also rental car companies love charging people's credit card for extra charges.

Would not count on anything on the net 100%.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">