• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

speeding in california 108 mph....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PLEASEDONTKILL

What is the name of your state? CA
i was caught speeding in august at 108 mph and my court day is tomorrow. my ticket says 22348 (b) v.c. exceeding 100mph. what am i looking at. i know i was speeding not sure if it was that fast i was going down hill and saw the chp basically hiding on the dirt on i15 north. i was driving my wifes lexus is and wow they get fast with out you feeling it (i drive a jeep). so what am i looking at. the chp said the ticket was 1200 and 1 month suspended license which is real bad i use my car for work. is there a way i could plead guilty and some how get a lesser sentence. i havent had a ticket for over a year (left turn violation) and no speeding ticket for 3 years. what am i really looking at? :(

The Occultist

If you feel you absolutely cannot lose your license for any length of time, then you'll want a lawyer to defend you. A local attorney knows what the courts want to hear, and will have the highest chances of getting this plead down for you.

PLEASEDONTKILL

i wish i could

i wish i could afford a lawyer! sheez i am scared of the 1200 dollar ticket by itself. now being suspended for a month is even worse. we dont have much money she drives a lexus because she works there and the lease cost her around 180 not bad to drive a fancy car :rolleyes:

moburkes

22348b Speed in excess of 100MPH 2 points (on record for 7 years)
2210X Turning violation 1 point
---
Within 12 months you'll have 3 points

Here is the statue, but I don't see the $1200 fine:

Excessive Speed and Designated Lane Use
22348. (a) Notwithstanding subdivision (b) of Section 22351, a person shall not drive a vehicle upon a highway with a speed limit established pursuant to Section 22349 or 22356 at a speed greater than that speed limit.

(b) A person who drives a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than 100 miles per hour is guilty of an infraction punishable, as follows:

(1) Upon a first conviction of a violation of this subdivision, by a fine of not to exceed five hundred dollars ($500). The court may also suspend the privilege of the person to operate a motor vehicle for a period not to exceed 30 days pursuant to Section 13200.5.

CdwJava

If the ONLY violation on the citation was for CVC 22348(b) then the base fine plus penalties and fees (per the CA Uniform Bail Schedule) should be at or near $760. If in a highway construction or maintenance zone, then the total can rise to between $802 and $858.

I think the $1,200 estimate was a tad high.

- Carl

Ozark_Sophist

I think the $1,200 estimate was a tad high.
But appropriate.

Ok, in my day, I had speeds in excess of 140 on I-40 but I never stopped. Still kick myself at how dumb that was even if I never got a ticket. Obey the limit now because although I can't always stop to smell the roses, I can drive slow enough to look.

The Occultist

But appropriate.

Ok, in my day, I had speeds in excess of 140 on I-40 but I never stopped. Still kick myself at how dumb that was even if I never got a ticket. Obey the limit now because although I can't always stop to smell the roses, I can drive slow enough to look.
Hey Ozark, those signs aren't the speed limits, they're the name of the interstate! ;)

PLEASEDONTKILL

ok back

well i plead guilty and got a 530 dollar ticket. now why does it stay on record for 7 years (seems a tad long) i though they dissapeared after 3-5 years (for ins).

CdwJava

Carl, I copied that information right off the DMV website. Now, I've got to go back and find it!
There was a recent change of information from 7 years back to ten years for certain offenses - most notably for DUI priors.

From the DMV:

Abstracts of Conviction
Most violations designated as two points will be reported for 10 years from the violation date. All other convictions of traffic violations will be reported for 3 years from violation date.

Violations occurring in a commercial vehicle which are the basis for an action under VC §§ 15300a, 15300b, 15302, 15304, and 15306 will be reported for 55 years from the conviction date.* Driving Under the Infl uence (DUI) convictions will be reported for ten years on an out-of-house/public driving record. (Effective 1/1/07)​

- Carl

moburkes

Yeah, I know what you're saying, but I'm pretty sure that CA is one of the 2 states (the other being NY) that we look at 7 years of driving history for, in determining premiums.

I'm still looking though. I was literally just copying information into the post as I found it yesterday. And, that was the site I was using.

CdwJava

Oddly enough, CVC 1808 seems to reinforce the DMV's website as it says:

(b) The department shall make available or disclose abstracts of
convictions and abstracts of accident reports required to be sent to
the department in Sacramento, as described in subdivision (a), if the
date of the occurrence is not later than the following:
(1) Ten years for a violation pursuant to Section 23140, 23152, or
(2) Seven years for a violation designated as two points pursuant
to Section 12810, except as provided in paragraph (1) of this
subdivision.
(3) Three years for accidents and all other violations.​

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">