• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

speeding in construction zone with no work in progress

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rob H.

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

Hello all,
Well I work an hour away from work and have been driving the same route for 2 1/2 years and am now 30 but havent gotten a speeding ticket since I was 19. The problem is there is a construction zone on Route 290 in Worcester, MA that they have been working on for more than a year now. So its posted 35 MPH which Ive never seen anybody drive, so I leave work at 1 AM and by the time I get to that section its 1:30AM and the regular highway posted speed limit is 65 but I got pulled over for doing 55 MPH in a 35 MPH "Construction Zone" I am furious over this ticket as I cant see driving 35 MPH unless maybe there was actually construction being done or if it was merged into 1 lane but it was 3 lanes wide open 1:30 AM and I was doing 55MPH, 10 miles slower than the highway speed limit. I think the officer could have let me go but he gave me a $400 ticket. Now I need to know if its still a construction zone even though there wasnt any construction being done? And I also plan on appealing this case so I was wondering if anyone could give me a hand on how to present my case and what I need to say or do?

Thanks people.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Sounds to me that, based on the information you provided, the cite was valid.

xylene

Massachusetts law does not differentiate between 'active' and 'inactive' work zones.

Some states do, yours does not.

At 20 mph over the posted limit I would urge you to contact a lawyer, even a low cost one.

While potentially expensive it may offer substantial savings in the long run, esp if you consider all the costs (ins, possible license suspension...)

Rob H.

Massachusetts law does not differentiate between 'active' and 'inactive' work zones.

Some states do, yours does not.

At 20 mph over the posted limit I would urge you to contact a lawyer, even a low cost one.

While potentially expensive it may offer substantial savings in the long run, esp if you consider all the costs (ins, possible license suspension...)
xylene,
Thanks for comment. So are you saying that it doesnt matter if its active construction zone or not?

Last edited:

Hey There

Getting Information

Under Massachusetts law per the freedom of information act you are entitled to the officers notes, copies of your ticket ,front and back, video,method of judging your speed, officer's training to operate a device if one was used and everything that the officer has based your violation on. Speed detection methods used in Ma. are Pacing, Vascar, radar, and lazer. All of these methods have flaws which can cause an error in the readings.
If you were driving at 1:30 at night I would check the sign to see if there might be specific times when the speed limit is in effect for that particular construction zone.
What was the violation # you were cited for? This can help to see the violation when posting a reply.
Read the citation to see if it really applies to you.

Rob H.

Under Massachusetts law per the freedom of information act you are entitled to the officers notes, copies of your ticket ,front and back, video,method of judging your speed, officer's training to operate a device if one was used and everything that the officer has based your violation on. Speed detection methods used in Ma. are Pacing, Vascar, radar, and lazer. All of these methods have flaws which can cause an error in the readings.
If you were driving at 1:30 at night I would check the sign to see if there might be specific times when the speed limit is in effect for that particular construction zone.
What was the violation # you were cited for? This can help to see the violation when posting a reply.
Read the citation to see if it really applies to you.
Thanks for the reply. Well it was violation #D.

Does anybody know if there is specific times that they are allowed to use the "Construction Zone" as a traffic violation? I feel that the officer purposely used the "Construction Zone" as a tactic to pull over me and possibly others. There was no Construction going on at 1:30AM.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">