• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

speeding from a dead stop?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

OhmbientSound

I recently received a ticket for going 50 in a 35 zone in Elizabethtown, Kentucky. I didn't feel right when the officer pulled me over, and it nagged at me for a couple days until I took the time to really look over the ticket. So, here's the scenario:

I was leaving from Wal-Mart after having done some minor shopping at about midnight. I drove to the stop light at the intersection of the parking lot and the street I was making a left-hand turn onto. I do this every time I leave Wal-Mart because it's the most reliable location from which to make said turn and it is the shortest distance from the store to my house. For what it counts, the light at which I stopped is uphill, while the street I turned onto was downhill. Approximately 1/8 mile from the light at which I turned left, there is another light, after which the speed limit changes from 35 to 50.

There was no traffic on the road, being so late at night. I did not notice any vehicles behind me until after I had passed the second light, at which time I sped up to just under 50 mph (it's a small town, best to be cautious late at night). Shortly after this point, I noticed another vehicle behind me. Approximately 1 mile after the speed limit increase, I signaled I was turning right onto the next street of my route. At this point, the lights came on and I pulled over immediately after completing my turn.

The officer stated, quite matter of factly, "I pulled you over for doing 50 in a 35," asked me for my paperwork, and went to his car. He came back about 10 minutes later with a hand-written citation. I was cordial and compliant throughout the entire interaction. After receiving my citation, I went about my merry way.

The story being told, here are some of the questions and concerns I have as to the viability of me getting out of this. With my insurance rates having just dropped to a very comfortable level, I would hate for a conviction of a crime I didn't commit to send it back up.

1: The location of the violation is the exact intersection at which I made the left-hand turn. Supposedly, I was traveling at a "high rate of speed" at said intersection. How is this even physically possible?

2: In the distance between my turn and the change from 35 to 50 mph speed limit, I would practically have had to floor the accelerator in my car for half of the distance to attain 50 mph.

3: The location where I was actually pulled over. There are 3 locations between my left turn and my right turn that are very common spots for police to sit, two of which are also common locations to be pulled over into. The first "sitting" location is located on the left hand side of the 35 mph zone at the light. The other two locations are on the right side of the road between the speed limit increase and my right turn. If the officer had clocked me at the first "sitting" location, the location of the violation would have been a different intersection. If he had indeed caught me there, why would he feel the need to postpone pulling me over for a mile after the infraction, and only as I was beginning to turn?

Just a couple other things and I'll finish. I know it's probably not worth much if anything, but I still am holding onto the receipt which places me at Wal-Mart at the time immediately prior to the incident. There is no speed limit sign after my left turn until the speed changes to 50 mph. Oh, and that location is a common spot for people to get pulled over.

Essentially, I know for a fact I was not speeding at any point from before the officer saw me until I arrived at home after being ticketed. How solid of a defense would I have, especially given some of the circumstances?

HomeGuru

I recently received a ticket for going 50 in a 35 zone in Elizabethtown, Kentucky. I didn't feel right when the officer pulled me over, and it nagged at me for a couple days until I took the time to really look over the ticket. So, here's the scenario:

I was leaving from Wal-Mart after having done some minor shopping at about midnight. I drove to the stop light at the intersection of the parking lot and the street I was making a left-hand turn onto. I do this every time I leave Wal-Mart because it's the most reliable location from which to make said turn and it is the shortest distance from the store to my house. For what it counts, the light at which I stopped is uphill, while the street I turned onto was downhill. Approximately 1/8 mile from the light at which I turned left, there is another light, after which the speed limit changes from 35 to 50.

There was no traffic on the road, being so late at night. I did not notice any vehicles behind me until after I had passed the second light, at which time I sped up to just under 50 mph (it's a small town, best to be cautious late at night). Shortly after this point, I noticed another vehicle behind me. Approximately 1 mile after the speed limit increase, I signaled I was turning right onto the next street of my route. At this point, the lights came on and I pulled over immediately after completing my turn.

The officer stated, quite matter of factly, "I pulled you over for doing 50 in a 35," asked me for my paperwork, and went to his car. He came back about 10 minutes later with a hand-written citation. I was cordial and compliant throughout the entire interaction. After receiving my citation, I went about my merry way.

The story being told, here are some of the questions and concerns I have as to the viability of me getting out of this. With my insurance rates having just dropped to a very comfortable level, I would hate for a conviction of a crime I didn't commit to send it back up.

1: The location of the violation is the exact intersection at which I made the left-hand turn. Supposedly, I was traveling at a "high rate of speed" at said intersection. How is this even physically possible?

2: In the distance between my turn and the change from 35 to 50 mph speed limit, I would practically have had to floor the accelerator in my car for half of the distance to attain 50 mph.

3: The location where I was actually pulled over. There are 3 locations between my left turn and my right turn that are very common spots for police to sit, two of which are also common locations to be pulled over into. The first "sitting" location is located on the left hand side of the 35 mph zone at the light. The other two locations are on the right side of the road between the speed limit increase and my right turn. If the officer had clocked me at the first "sitting" location, the location of the violation would have been a different intersection. If he had indeed caught me there, why would he feel the need to postpone pulling me over for a mile after the infraction, and only as I was beginning to turn?

Just a couple other things and I'll finish. I know it's probably not worth much if anything, but I still am holding onto the receipt which places me at Wal-Mart at the time immediately prior to the incident. There is no speed limit sign after my left turn until the speed changes to 50 mph. Oh, and that location is a common spot for people to get pulled over.

Essentially, I know for a fact I was not speeding at any point from before the officer saw me until I arrived at home after being ticketed. How solid of a defense would I have, especially given some of the circumstances?
**A: I believe you must have been going over 35 mph at some time.

OhmbientSound

**A: I believe you must have been going over 35 mph at some time.
obviously i was going over 35 at some point. it's even stated that after the speed limit increased, so did my speed. your answer has been less than helpful, but thanks for the warm welcome.

HomeGuru

obviously i was going over 35 at some point. it's even stated that after the speed limit increased, so did my speed. your answer has been less than helpful, but thanks for the warm welcome.
**A: ok, how's this for more help. You DO NOT have a solid defense.

The OP wrote that he turned left at the intersection he was cited for traveling 50mph at. Either the cop made a mistake in the location, the OP is lying, or the cop is lying.

OhmbientSound,
How is this even physically possible?
The court could accept the officer's testimony, probably assuming that you didn't turn at 50mph and entered the road earlier. A 50mph turn may be considered reckless driving.

If he had indeed caught me there, why would he feel the need to postpone pulling me over for a mile after the infraction, and only as I was beginning to turn?
To see if you are driving straight rather than weaving back and forth. If you were, he would have asked you questions about how much you had to drink.

How solid of a defense would I have, especially given some of the circumstances?
If the officer testifies of you speeding at the intersection you turned at, it's your word verses his.

Looks like the officer may have written down the wrong intersection.

Last edited:

I_Got_Banned

I’m gonna play devil’s advocate here….

I recently received a ticket for going 50 in a 35 zone in Elizabethtown, Kentucky. I didn't feel right when the officer pulled me over, and it nagged at me for a couple days until I took the time to really look over the ticket.
I read your entire post and yet never got to a point where you stated what it was that nagged at you… Or did you?

…
Can I use your own post to answer that? Here…

1. the street I turned onto was downhill.
2. There was no traffic on the road, being so late at night.
3. I did not notice any vehicles behind me until after I had passed the second light
So… Is it physically possible for you to hit a speed of 50mph in that short distance?

I would practically have had to floor the accelerator in my car for half of the distance to attain 50 mph.
So IT IS in fact possible…

If I remember correctly, you would practically have to floor the accelerator in your car for half of that distance to attain 50 mph…
Did I get it right?
Well, if I didn’t get it right, you did in fact ask that question in point #1 and in the next sentence, that is point #2, you answered your own question.

If he had indeed caught me there, why would he feel the need to
postpone pulling me over for a mile after the infraction, and only as I was beginning to turn?
There are a number of reasons why an officer might do that.
One, to run your plate and at times, the dispatcher might take a bit longer than a few seconds to respond or read back the information to the officer…
Two, the officer could have wanted to wait until you got to a well lit spot for his safety and yours… or maybe for an area where it is safe (as far as other traffic is concerned) for him to pull you over…
Three… He felt he had to sneeze but it turned out to be one of those sneezes that lingered… you know the kind… And he wanted to get it out so as not to splash boogers all over your car…
As well as a few more reasons that I can’t think of at this time.

but I still am holding onto the receipt which places me at Wal-Mart at the time immediately prior to the incident.
I doubt it will help you in court but you might wanna keep it in case you have to return/exchange anything!

There is no speed limit sign after my left turn until the speed changes to 50 mph.
This one might work to your advantage… Take pictures but before you assume you won, you might want to research the requirements of where and how often signs have to be posted in your state. (If I knew I’d tell you but I don’t).

I know for a fact I was not speeding at any point from before the officer saw me until I arrived at home after being ticketed.
Wait a second… two things…
1st: Were you speeding right before he saw you?????
And…
2nd: How do you know when the officer saw you if you claim that you only knew he was there after he lit you up?

Last edited:

OhmbientSound

sorry, i seem to have missed the part where i said what was nagging me. it nagged me because i'm usually very cautious about my driving in this particular area. i have seen the police sitting and have seen enough people pulled over to know better than to even try to speed here. and, barring a faulty speedometer, i never once reached 50 mph, even after entering into the 50 mph zone. the needle was resting right below 50, granted, so the speedometer being off 1 or 2 mph in the right direction would indeed mean i was doing 50.

as for when the officer saw me, i do not know exactly when he saw me, but i do know that my speedometer didn't approach 50 until i was past the light where the limit increases. prior to this, my speedometer read no more than 35. once again, i could have been going slightly over due to speedometer being off a couple miles.

i have tried to find speed limit sign location regulations for kentucky and elizabethtown, but my searches tend to end up with more links about interstate speed limits being increased and various other not-what-i'm-looking-for topics. the only information i've come up with says that they should be located where speed limit changes occur or at a major intersection. any tips on where/how to search for this information?

thanks for the feedback, it got me thinking and gave me an idea of what i'm up against should i decide to dispute it.

I_Got_Banned

sorry, i seem to have missed the part where i said what was nagging me. it nagged me because i'm usually very cautious about my driving in this particular area. i have seen the police sitting and have seen enough people pulled over to know better than to even try to speed here. and, barring a faulty speedometer, i never once reached 50 mph, even after entering into the 50 mph zone. the needle was resting right below 50, granted, so the speedometer being off 1 or 2 mph in the right direction would indeed mean i was doing 50.

as for when the officer saw me, i do not know exactly when he saw me, but i do know that my speedometer didn't approach 50 until i was past the light where the limit increases. prior to this, my speedometer read no more than 35. once again, i could have been going slightly over due to speedometer being off a couple miles.

i have tried to find speed limit sign location regulations for kentucky and elizabethtown, but my searches tend to end up with more links about interstate speed limits being increased and various other not-what-i'm-looking-for topics. the only information i've come up with says that they should be located where speed limit changes occur or at a major intersection. any tips on where/how to search for this information?

thanks for the feedback, it got me thinking and gave me an idea of what i'm up against should i decide to dispute it.
You know I have to give you so much credit for being open minded and accepting of my criticism. I actually felt bad posting that but then again my policy is to speak my mind and hope that you can accept the fact that if anything, I am pointing out holes in your story which might help you develop a better strategy...

So as far as your last post... I think hindsight is 20:20 and you at least ironed out your story a bit...

As for the sign information, typically you will find the state standards in what is referred to as the MUTCD which is short for "Manual for Uniform Traffic Control Devices"... A quick Google search showed this

Kentucky - FHWA MUTCD

Keep in mind that although it states that it is the 2003 version, it has received a couple of updates in 2007 and in currently up to date as you see it there.

OhmbientSound

Thanks for the tip on the MUTCD. I would have never figured that out on my own.

I went back by the location of the supposed infraction after posting yesterday just to see how easily visible it would be from the location I'm assuming the officer was in. To my surprise, you can barely even see the intersection from said location. Would I be able to find out where and how he claims to have caught me via discovery? I've read a bit about it online, but it *is* the internet. What information would I need to request or have access to in order to find this out? What information should I request, if that's how discovery works?

I wouldn't be so concerned about this speeding ticket if I believed that I had actually been speeding at the time. Had I knowingly been speeding, I would just pay the ticket and go on with my life, but such is not the case. It's one of those small town after dark situations, and the police have a reputation for being a bit overzealous, especially since they have a brand new multimillion dollar station to pay for (mere speculation).

One more thing on the discovery: I saw it mentioned somewhere that I should request information about the officer's ticket writing history on and around that date. Would this be available to me? I think it would help if there were multiple instances of people getting ticketed for 50 in a 35 at this location. It would seem to me that there would be more variety in the speeds of other supposed violators. Everyone going an exact 50 would seem a bit suspicious to me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">