• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

speeding & failure to signal (lane change)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chris chu

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

so...i speed past an MTA police car on the FDR drive in NYC. I change lanes a few times and next thing i know...im pulled over.

he gives me 1 ticket for 68 in a 40 zone, and 3 tickets for failure to signal (lane changing). I'm guessing that I probably should get a lawyer and plead not guilty since it looks like 12-15 points on the license.

my question is can i contest the speed, and the fact that he gave me 3 tickets for the same violation? He wrote on the ticket under description "speeding estimated".

I've never gotten a moving violation ticket before, and I think I got all of these because new yorkers never acknowledge the MTA police as real cops, and I think he is taking in out on me. "How dare I don't slow down..."

racer72

The old addage of ignorance is no excuse was hit home perfectly by the OP.

Last edited:

chris chu

ignorance is no excuse

obviously cynicism is above your head and you must not live in NYC... I know why I received the ticket. Its the fact that the MTA police gave the ticket, versus regular cops.

to compare it to the rest of the world....its kind of like the amtrak police giving a ticket on a highway.

Also, most of the time when a cop pulls someone over, they are pretty fair...provided one doesnt give them a hard time. I pulled over immediately and was extremely polite.

Instead of say, the speeding ticket & 1 signal ticket, which would cost me say 7 points, he gives me 4 tickets that are a minimum 12 points and max 15 points. NY suspends licenses over 11 points.

This is where it seems "vengeful" to me.

So, as I stated earlier...my concern is the points. Any feedback on whether I stand a chance of having the points reduced if I plead not guilty and actually show up in court to contest it, would be helpful.

Telling me ignorance is no excuse does not qualify as helpful..

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
obviously cynicism is above your head and you must not live in NYC... I know why I received the ticket. Its the fact that the MTA police gave the ticket, versus regular cops.

to compare it to the rest of the world....its kind of like the amtrak police giving a ticket on a highway.

Also, most of the time when a cop pulls someone over, they are pretty fair...provided one doesnt give them a hard time. I pulled over immediately and was extremely polite.

Instead of say, the speeding ticket & 1 signal ticket, which would cost me say 7 points, he gives me 4 tickets that are a minimum 12 points and max 15 points. NY suspends licenses over 11 points.

This is where it seems "vengeful" to me.

So, as I stated earlier...my concern is the points. Any feedback on whether I stand a chance of having the points reduced if I plead not guilty and actually show up in court to contest it, would be helpful.

Telling me ignorance is no excuse does not qualify as helpful..
You made several (presumably improper) lane changes and were ticketed for each. As for who gave you the ticket...if he's authorized to give the ticket, then you have no argument there.

You Are Guilty

Where are the tickets returnable? 111 Centre Street? With any luck and a sympathetic judge, you might get some of the failure to signals tickets tossed, but unless you come up with an actual defense, you're looking at at least the speeding and one failure to signal sticking.

Just think of it as an expensive lesson in Civics. (Come to think of it, why not sue whoever told you MTA police weren't "real" police? They're the ones causing all the problems for you!)

chris chu

and that zigner is a question i cannot answer. are the MTA (metropolitan transportation authority) who govern public subways, buses and some river crossings, out of there jurisdiction when it comes to ticketing on a highway? Does that mean housing police can give me a ticket also if they wanted to?

u r guilty, the hearing office is at traffic violations bureau @ 19 rector st. is that the office that replaced 111 centre? I think thats where one goes to contest a parking ticket.
with regards to suing the one who told me MTA police aren't real, I think they need to chauffeur me around if all DOES NOT go well...

Thx to both of you for the straight forward answer! Much appreciated... Oh...if found guilty, points are mandatory yes? Or do I stand a chance of having to pay a fine, but no points....

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
and that zigner is a question i cannot answer. are the MTA (metropolitan transportation authority) who govern public subways, buses and some river crossings, out of there jurisdiction when it comes to ticketing on a highway?
I suspect that if he wasn't authorized to ticket you then he wouldn't have ;)

chris chu

zigner...that is an assumption... we have seen numerous times where traffic cops issue tickets to different nyc agency vehicles. Anyone can issue a ticket but it doesnt mean its legitimate. I've heard that Port Authority police cannot issue tickets to people unless it happens on PA property. entrance to a tunnel, bridge; whatever comprises their jurisdiction.

Yes, the MTA cop can obviously issue a ticket, but is he out of his jurisdiction. The FDR drive is not part of the MTA's coverage.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
zigner...that is an assumption... we have seen numerous times where traffic cops issue tickets to different nyc agency vehicles. Anyone can issue a ticket but it doesnt mean its legitimate. I've heard that Port Authority police cannot issue tickets to people unless it happens on PA property. entrance to a tunnel, bridge; whatever comprises their jurisdiction.

Yes, the MTA cop can obviously issue a ticket, but is he out of his jurisdiction. The FDR drive is not part of the MTA's coverage.
Keep thinking that and you will find yourself in alot more trouble some day.

MTA Police Officers are fully empowered police officers under the New York State Criminal Procedure Law and the New York State Public Authorities Law. They have MORE jurisdiction than a NYPD officer. They cover the 12 downstate counties of New York State as well as two counties in Connecticut. They can enforce ANY law within their geographical area of employment.

If you contest the tickets and lose, the points cannot get reduced. Maybe if you had paid attention and not disrespected a marked police car (marked "POLICE" in big letters on both sides) you wouldn't have a problem now.

You can play Russian roulette and go to court - there is ONE judge at 19 Rector Street who is very liberal. The rest are fair but may just find you guilty as charged on all tickets if the officer provides proper testimonial evidence.

And your information about the PAPD is wrong also. Bottom line is don't drive like a dope and you won't have problems.

HighwayMan

Based on your original post I thought I knew the officer who wrote you. I just confirmed that I was correct. You don't stand a chance of him not getting it right in court.

LSCAP

Justalayman,

NYPD officers are Police Officers throughout the state.

In the academy they 'suggest' that the officers do not annoy people by writing parking tickets in places like upstate.

Just a little pride speaking from a retired NYPD. :)

Last edited:

LSCAP

I also suggest that he can challenge the multiple lane change tickets.

Many NYC judges have done so in the past.
I suspect it is on the concept that you don't charge a person with three counts of assault if he fired three bullets into someone.
He is guilt of 'failed to signal his lane changes.' A single ticket that I have written in the past.

HighwayMan

I also suggest that he can challenge the multiple lane change tickets.

Many NYC judges have done so in the past.
I suspect it is on the concept that you don't charge a person with three counts of assault if he fired three bullets into someone.
He is guilt of 'failed to signal his lane changes.' A single ticket that I have written in the past.
Agreed, however multiple occurrences can be charged. In the case of especially aggressive drivers I have written multiple lane change summonses and had no problem winning all. Like anything else, it depends on the judge and other circumstances.

HighwayMan

Justalayman,

NYPD officers are Police Officers throughout the state.

In the academy they 'suggest' that the officers do not annoy people by writing parking tickets in places like upstate.

Just a little pride speaking from a retired NYPD. :)

Maybe retired too long? :) :) :)

CPL 140.10 specifies that a police officer can't summons/arrest for a petty offense outside of the GAOE unless in hot pursuit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">