• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding in Georgia Clarification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mlsolis

Clarification on Georgia speeding Q re steep hill: The officer was posted at the bottom of a steep hill that I was coming down and he took the reading when I was at the bottom of the hill.

This is important because I heard of a Georgia DUI case that was thrown out for lack of probable cause because the court held that a radar reading on a car traveling down a hill of a certain steepness (7% ?) was invalid or otherwise not allowed.

V

Vincent Cosent

Thats why they put brakes on a car. But you can call state police to ask question. Check drivers test book or call facility. Also try
Sec Of State on web or phone.

racer72

Sitting at the bottom of steep hills are favorite spots for nabbing speeders. The 7% grade rule applies to the difference between where the cop zaps you and where your car is. If the officer is on a flat spot away from the hill and shoots a vehicle coming down the hill, the difference in angle cannot exceed 7% or a false reading may occur. As long as the officer and the target are within 7% grade of each other, a valid reading will be displayed on the radar gun. Trying to prove this can be difficult, the location listed on most tickets is where the officer is located with the radar, not the exact location where the target is located on the road.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">