• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding and got off with unlicensed operator - now what?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

badNVdriver

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

My family and I were on vacation in NY. I was pulled over on I95 going WAY too fast. I also got extremely lucky that the Officer did not ticket me for going too fast but let me off with a "unlic operator" ticket. I had my valid license on me when he stopped me. He told me he was doing me a huge favor and never to let him stop me again. I believe him.

I also understood that when I got back home to NV, I should make a copy of my DL, plead not guilty and mail everything back. That would be the end of this ordeal.

I did so but now received a hearing date in the Bronx and also a "Affidavit in Lieu of Appearance". I thought that sending the photocopy of the DL would "prove" that I was licensed and make this all go away. Now it sounds like I may be creating more work for the Officer who did me a favor.

Am I missing something?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
A clerk cannot dismiss the ticket by mail.

You fill out the affidavit and return it after notarizing it. Include a clear copy of your license. A trial is held in your absence. That's it.

badNVdriver

Ok. Got it. I figured from your other responses in these forums that you, Highwayman, would know the answer.
Thank you! Great service you are doing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">