• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding in Hanover VA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

coolmeg

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I was caught VA hanover county in the speed zone of 65mph - i was over probably just 2-3 mph... I got viginia uniform summons, law section 46.2.870 - there is no fine charged but the officer asked me to appear in the court. I understand when we appear in the court we have to pay the fine+court cost - which in my case would be just the court cost of $50-$60, since i was not charged any fine, correct?

Oh and this is my first ever traffic violation - I did tell this to the officer too but he didn't budge. :(

Should i be using a lawyers help? Will this appear in my DMV record and effect my insurance? I still don't understand if I was not charged any fines why should I have to appear in the court.

Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks!!

Last edited:

FlyingRon

If convicted you will pay the fine and it will go on your record. It's up to your insurance company whether they ding you on the single ticket, many will.

You can however, if your record is clean, get a deferral and complete the driver improvement course and get the charge dismissed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">