• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding and HOV violation went to collection... please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brandnew000021

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

Hi,

I am hoping that someone can help me.

I got two speeding tickets in 2005 (one for $184 and one for $285) and one HOV (high occupancy vehicle) violation in 2008 ($151) and they were sent to collections.

For the two speeding tickets, I contested via mail and never received anything from the court so I assumed that they were taken off. I know that was a mistake but I was 18 and naive. The HOV violation I just didn't have the money to pay and ended up forgetting about it until I pulled my credit yesterday.

I called the collection agency and they said that I now owe them $1073 and that they would accept a settlement of $873. The only problem with that is I don't have the money and I am not employed which I told them. They said that they cannot accept less than that amount.

So I guess I'm just trying to see what my options are?

I THINK my license is suspended. Is there a set time requirement before the unpaid ticket is removed from my record?

Thank you for reading and hope you can help!

JETX

So I guess I'm just trying to see what my options are?
Very simple... you have TWO options:
1) Pay the fines for the violations and accept the consequences of your failure to handle them (fees, likely FTA warrant, etc.), or
2) Not pay them and face being arrested when (and they will) catch you.

Is there a set time requirement before the unpaid ticket is removed from my record?
Yes. When you die, the ticket (charge) will no longer be valid.

brandnew000021

Very simple... you have TWO options:
1) Pay the fines for the violations and accept the consequences of your failure to handle them (fees, likely FTA warrant, etc.), or
2) Not pay them and face being arrested when (and they will) catch you.

Yes. When you die, the ticket (charge) will no longer be valid.
I do want to and will pay the fines but I was wondering if there is a way to just pay the court or try to get a hearing or something along those lines. I know it is definitely my mistake for not checking up on the speeding tickets but I was young and stupid... stupid being the key word.

I read in one of the posts...
...that you are able to get a court date as long as you have not failed to appear in court more than twice. I never appeared in court for the two speeding tickets. But that is in Santa Monica, California and I'm wondering if that's the same in Washington State. Granted I may have to pay bail if there is a warrant out but I would rather pay the county more money than a collection agency.

Thanks again

Maestro64

In this day and age of computers and databases those tickets will never come off your record even after your dead, the state can makes claims against your estate after your death for unpaid fines. So you will need to settle those tickets, I am kind of surprise there is not a warrant for your arrest already out there.

Also, depending on the state you could settle the matter with the state and sometime they will call off the collection dogs. But some others once it is turned over to collection they wipe their hands of it. Keep this in mind if this collection company bought this debt form the state they did not pay the full price of your ticket, they probably paid pennies on the dollars so they are trying to get as much out of you as they can. Also, paying them does not mean the matter is clear with the state either so you are better off working with the state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">