• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding in Illinois

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

maruschka

My 18-year-old son got a ticket for speeding, he was going over 100 in a 55 mph zone. He wasn't drag racing, just speeding like a maniac. A court appearance is required. He is worried that he could go to jail or have his license taken away. Does anyone know the odds in Illinois, Kane County? He has no other tickets, and so I think he'll get a hefty fine, but I don't really think he'll go to jail or lose his license. Should we consult a lawyer?

Thanks! maruschka

FarmerJ

if you feel you must , do contact a local law firm , but at age 18 now he is old enough to own a car and be fully responsible for his actions let alone his own Insurance , suggestion for you to consider . Now that he is 18 allow him to have full responsibility for his action and provide no assistance with paying his fines . He wont learn much if you bail him out on this one .

M

maruschka

I agree. It's his car, paid for by him, and he pays his own insurance and upkeep on the car. And the first thing he said when he told me about the ticket was that he will pay for everything. Which, of course, is the right thing to do.

Driving more than 40 mph over the posted speed limit in IL is a class A misdemeanor, and *could* result in anything from fines to a year in jail. I think we'll get a lawyer for this one. (Which my son will have to pay for.) Thanks for your reply.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">