• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding in Illinois

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

X

xenakis

I was going 45 in a 30 mph speed zone in Urbana, IL. I did admit this to the arresting officer. However, my concern is due to the fact that the officer took my license as bond. When he first approached my car, I explained to him why I was mistakenly going over the speed limit. He asked for my license and insurance, and I promptly gave him the documents. He returned minutes later to issue me a ticket. At that moment, I asked him to accept my driver's club card as bond (The card clearly states that the card can be used for bond in traffic violations.) He said that I said that he could use my driver's license as bond. I told him I did not, and he said he was going to take my license anyway because he already wrote up the ticket and attached my license to it. (NOTE: The other two times I have been pulled over for traffic violation in Illinois, the officer has asked me what I would like to post for bail.)

He also misinformed (lied?) when he told me I could go to traffic court the next day to deal with the violation. I received the ticket on Friday, went to traffic court on Saturday. Of course, traffic court was not open on Saturdays.

Beyond the question as to whether or not my rights have been violated, I have to renew my driver's license in the next couple of weeks. So as far as I can tell, I have to pay the ticket immediately, so that I can get my license back. I cannot even go to court to get court supervision Do I have any other options?

V

Vincent Cosent

Read your ticket

You go to court on the date stated on your ticket.
Bring your ticket with you when you go to have your liscense renewed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">