• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding in Indian Reservation, Moapa Res in Nevada

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WillRadford

I live in Utah and while driving home from California I was written up for a speeding ticket on I-15 in Nevada for going 1 mph over the limit by the Moapa Indian Reservation police. They apparently patrol the 7 mile stretch of I-15 that passes through their reservation. The ticket was for $250!!! I thought that was a bit excessive for 1 mph over so I sent them $50. They sent me a letter saying I still owe them $200. The letter didn't say when the payment was due or what would happen if I don't pay it. I don't want to pay it. They told me at the time of writing the ticket that since they are not part of the federal or state system that the ticket won't hit my record.

Anyway, what will happen if I don't pay the remainder? Can they send the debt to collections? Put a warrant out for my arrest? Impound my car if they ever catch me again?

xylene

Why did you think you could send a partial payment because you "thought" you could?

Your actual defense to a speeding ticket is to be condescending to a tribal authority?

You should get a lawyer or better still pay the whole amount. That's what I think.

Ladyback1

I live in Utah and while driving home from California I was written up for a speeding ticket on I-15 in Nevada for going 1 mph over the limit by the Moapa Indian Reservation police. They apparently patrol the 7 mile stretch of I-15 that passes through their reservation. The ticket was for $250!!! I thought that was a bit excessive for 1 mph over so I sent them $50. They sent me a letter saying I still owe them $200. The letter didn't say when the payment was due or what would happen if I don't pay it. I don't want to pay it. They told me at the time of writing the ticket that since they are not part of the federal or state system that the ticket won't hit my record.

Anyway, what will happen if I don't pay the remainder? Can they send the debt to collections? Put a warrant out for my arrest? Impound my car if they ever catch me again?
Well...since it is a reservation--they could just turn it over to Federal Authorities! Wouldn't that be a hoot?:D:eek:

YOU don't get to decide to pay less than the fine, just because you don't agree with the amount. Would you have done the same thing if you had been stopped by CHP or some other local authority? I doubt that you would. You might fight the ticket in court. But you damned sure would not have thumbed your nose at them and CHOSE what amount you would send in!

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Don't be surprised if your license gets suspended.

Your admission of guilt by partially paying your fine will now set the tone for what action gets taken next.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">