• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding in Missouri

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

filbert01

I recently recieved a speeding ticket in Missouri for going 82 in a 70. This is the first time I've been pulled over for speeding and have a few questions about it.

1. I set my cruise control for approximatly 75 mph, so I know that either the gun was off, or my cruise control is broken. I find it more likely that the gun was off becuase I was frequently being passed by others during the drive. does that effect the potential fine, or the validity of the ticket?

2. The copy of the ticket that the officer gave me is one of those carbon copy things, and so much of the information is unreadable.

3. There are two check boxes for "Detection Method" one is "stationary radar" the other is "moving radar" and the check is exactly inbetween the two, so I can't tell which way was used. Does this affect the ticket in any way?

I'm a non-resident, but it is not a real long way to drive to head to court, and I am willing to do it if I could eliminate/reduce the ticket and fine.

V

Vincent Cosent

Without getting into a long discussion about radar guns I must tell you that if I was the judge and you told me you set your cruise control to 75 I would find you guilty.

racer72

You should consult an attorney. A few weeks ago I saw a citation dismissed for being illegible. The lawyer for the person claimed that the defendant was unable to provide a defense due to the problem. The judge dismissed the citation and scolded the officer for being sloppy.

V

Vincent Cosent

It is possible

as racer has stated to beat the ticket. It all comes down to the judge and whether you can convince him or if he can be convinced. And the officers testimony is by no means certain.
Speeding tickets are very hard to beat and most times your better off pleading guilty and paying the fine. If you have court supervision take it so it will be kept from ins. co. The choice is yours. I personally never fight speeding tickets but then I havent had one for years. I have successfully fought other types of tickets though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">