• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding in Nevada, Live in Montana, should I pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

trevzilla

Hi!

I've done some research elsewhere online, and I can't find the specific answer between the states I'm interested in.

The story goes like this: I was driving on a highway and JUST entered Nevada. There was a city there, and the speed limit dropped to 35. Well, there was also a dust devil going on in the distance which I had never seen before. So, I missed the speed limit sign, and rightfully so, got pulled over. I was cited for doing 62 in a 35.

Yes, I'm guilty. That is not the point of this question. I want to know what my options are. Going to court is not an option as I live in Montana. Does Montana and Nevada have reciprocity laws?

What happens if I don't pay? I suppose I'll get a warrant for my arrest in Nevada, but anything in Montana? Does a warrant in Nevada ever expire?

I've also heard that one can pay the ticket, but pay for $0.01 more than what they were fined for. The state then issues a refund check for $0.01 but you should just tear that up. This leaves the "case" open and therefore it will never go onto your insurance. Is this true?

And finally will my insurance find out about this? Will it go up?

It's been eight years since my last ticket (which I got in Washington) and other than that, my driving record is clean.

racer72

What happens if I don't pay? I suppose I'll get a warrant for my arrest in Nevada, but anything in Montana? Does a warrant in Nevada ever expire?
Google "states driver's license compact". It is a federal law that allows states to share information when out of state drivers are cited. The ticket from Nevada will be reported to Montana. Failure to pay the ticket will result in Nevada suspending your driving priveliges, this includes the suspension of your license in Montana. You also face other problems besides a future ticket for driving while suspended such as vehicle impound and possibly a trip to jail. In these days of instant communications, the day of ignoring out of state tickets without fear of reprisal are long gone.

I've also heard that one can pay the ticket, but pay for $0.01 more than what they were fined for. The state then issues a refund check for $0.01 but you should just tear that up. This leaves the "case" open and therefore it will never go onto your insurance. Is this true?
Purely a myth.

And finally will my insurance find out about this? Will it go up?
You can count on it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">