• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding in Ohio school zone 64 in 20mph zone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

moto920

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Hi, I recently got pulled over for doing 64 in a 20mph school zone. I went to my court date today and the judge read off that it was a 4th degree misdemeanor punishable by up to 30 days in jail and a suspended license. I cant lose my license or possibly risk 30 days in jail since I would without a doubt lose my job missing 30 days in a row unexcused. I didn't know what to do so I plead no contest because it sounded a lot worse than I thought it was at the time. Now that I have plead no contest what do I do now. Is it worth hiring a lawyer for? What is a common punishment for something like this?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

Hi, I recently got pulled over for doing 64 in a 20mph school zone. I went to my court date today and the judge read off that it was a 4th degree misdemeanor punishable by up to 30 days in jail and a suspended license. I cant lose my license or possibly risk 30 days in jail since I would without a doubt lose my job missing 30 days in a row unexcused. I didn't know what to do so I plead no contest because it sounded a lot worse than I thought it was at the time. Now that I have plead no contest what do I do now. Is it worth hiring a lawyer for? What is a common punishment for something like this?
Should have thought about that before speeding through a school zone. :cool:

FlyingRon

I can almost guarantee if you were pulled over just past the zone, you were observed speeding in the zone.

A misdemeanor is nothing to sneeze at. You should consult with a lawyer. That's your best deal to get it reduced or otherwise ameliorated. Even without the school zone, I suspect 64 MPH was in excess of the speed limit.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

You plead no contest which means the court can find you guilty as you admitted to the facts in the complaint (doing 64 in a school zone). You will lose your license for being an idiot. You most likely will get sentenced to jail time which will be suspended provided you don't continue being an idiot. You are lucky you didn't kill someone. Children in Ohio have DIED due to idiots like you who didn't think the rules and/or laws applied to them. It is too late to hire a lawyer quite frankly. You should have an entered a not guilty plea if you wanted to hire counsel.

You Are Guilty

I didn't know what to do so I plead no contest because it sounded a lot worse than I thought it was at the time. Now that I have plead no contest what do I do now.
Sounds like the next step is losing your license for 30 days, a fine and maybe some jail time.

"No contest", for all practical purposes here, means you plead guilty.

Probably should have spoken to a lawyer before you did that.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Sounds like the next step is losing your license for 30 days, a fine and maybe some jail time.

"No contest", for all practical purposes here, means you plead guilty.

Probably should have spoken to a lawyer before you did that.
Psst it is possible that the license suspension will be for longer than 30 days.

IS THIS A JOKE? You pleaded NOLO = guilty with no apeal.
Well you came here for free advice, So:
Buy soap on a rope. And in the advent that you still manage to drop it, Don't try to pick it up!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">