• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding over advisory speed limit, can they legally give you a ticket in california?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ez1

Califorina.
Ive been to traffic school before and the officer told me that the officers only give tickets where there is regulatory signs that show the mandated speed limits. he also told us that advisory signs only show what that road is rated.In California, the recent CVC 21461 which became effective on 1/1/06 applies in
general to all signs of regulatory nature, implying that only regulatory signs
are enforceable and therefore leading to conclude that warning signs would not
be enforceable. Its that true. I was speeding 77mph in 55mph adisory area, can they give me a ticket legally?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Califorina.
Ive been to traffic school before and the officer told me that the officers only give tickets where there is regulatory signs that show the mandated speed limits. he also told us that advisory signs only show what that road is rated.In California, the recent CVC 21461 which became effective on 1/1/06 applies in
be enforceable. Its that true. I was speeding 77mph in 55mph adisory area, can they give me a ticket legally?
Yes, they can. First, you exceeded the maximum STATUTORY speed in the State of California. Second, they can cite you for exceeding the maximum SAFE speed (Basic Speed Law).

Jim will be along shortly to advise you on possible avenues to explore in fighting your ticket... ;)

justalayman

Califorina.
what are you calling an "advisory area". What was the actual posted limit?

CdwJava

The sign would be just one element to help show a violation of CVC 22350 (unsafe speed). If the sign was erected pursuant to the MUTCD then it can be cited for 21461.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">