• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

speeding Pa

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

creeper71

I got stopped in Pa by a Park Ranger for speeding.. I wasn't actually in the park.. But I was driving on a state owned road that goes thru or beside the park... He pulled me over an said I was doing 60mph in a 35..my odometer was reading 45mph.. He also told me he used radar.. I thought only Pa State Police was allowed to use Radar.. I was polite to the officer so he only wrote the ticket for 51mph but at very bottom of ticket section 62 for remarks he wrote actual sp? 60mph.. So first question I have is if I fight this can he go back on his ticket an increase my speed to 60mph even tho he has 51mph written in section25. also now looking at the ticket closer he checked other in section 25 where he asked what method he used to clock me with an he told me Radar... 2nd question is I thought you was allowed 10mph over speed limit for any speed sign up to 55mph then it drops to 6mph over. last question is how do I fight this an prove I'm innocent?? please give me a very well detailed answer if you have one for me..I'm going to plead innocent an go to the county mastrate office for hearing... Thank you for any an all help you can give me, If there is any more info you need that I forgot to add please ask I'll give you the answers if I know them...

Maestro64

The only question is what he used to clock your speed.

You are correct the PSP are the only ones allowed to use Radar, so he did not use radar that is for sure.

If he check other it means he either used a stop watch or he paced you with the vehicle. If he used a stop watch then he had to list on the ticket the serial number of the stop watch and what test station that was used to calibrate the stop watch.

If he paced you, then vehicle Odometer must be calibrated, second he had to follow you for at least 3/10 of mile. So on the ticket did he indicate the distance timed over or an amount of time. If those are missing then there is no evidence against you other than the Ranger's word that he thinks you were doing 60 or maybe 51.

If any of that information is missing then you got a good chance or prevailing, unless you admit you were going 45, even with the 10MPH buffer that PA allows before issuing a ticket, you can still be found guilty for even being 1MPH over in PA. Most people are found guilty of speeding by their own words, independent of the officer or other evidences.

Last edited:

creeper71

The only question is what he used to clock your speed.

You are correct the PSP are the only ones allowed to use Radar, so he did not use radar that is for sure.

If he check other it means he either used a stop watch or he paced you with the vehicle. If he used a stop watch then he had to list on the ticket the serial number of the stop watch and what test station that was used to calibrate the stop watch.

If he paces you, then vehicle Odometer must be calibrated, second he had to follow you for at least 3/10 of mile. So on the ticket did he indicate the distance timed over or an amount of time. If those are missing then there is no evidence against you other than the ranger word that he thinks you were doing 60 or maybe 51.

If any of that information is missing then you got a good chance or prevailing, unless you admit you were going 45, even with the 10MPH buffer that PA allows before issuing a ticket, since you can still found guilty for even being 1MPH over in PA. Most people are found guilty of speeding by their own words, independent of the officer or other evidences.
No I don't think he timed with stop watch he came out of a row of sapplings an when he pulled me over he said you know how fast your doing? I made the mistake of saying 45mph he then said I quote "my radar says you was doing 60mph" but then again he did follow me a a lil bit be4 he pulled me over..so maybe he did use the watch... is there any thing I can do in court to maybe get out of this?? thanks for your help!

Last edited:

Maestro64

In order to use a stopwatch there had to be white lines on the road to measure you over. Also, this information would need to be on the ticket, there would be miles timed and time measured information included on the ticket.

It sounds like most all the information is missing. The Ranger will be required to show at the court and he will also be required to present proof that what ever he used to measure the speed was calibrate and done so by a PA proved test station.

FlyingRon

The NPS runs a large area in the Delaware water gap as well. They also do a lot of smaller sites (mostly houses, etc... like the Eisenhower residence, Hopewell Furnace, etc...) but you're unlikely to get banged speeding up the driveway.

Orcons

The NPS runs a large area in the Delaware water gap as well. They also do a lot of smaller sites (mostly houses, etc... like the Eisenhower residence, Hopewell Furnace, etc...) but you're unlikely to get banged speeding up the driveway.
Don't forget Valley Forge.

Maestro64

That just goes to show you how much I do not know about the NPS in PA. and I have been to all those parks too. I wonder if the Fort Ligonier is one, or just listed on the national register.

creeper71

In order to use a stopwatch there had to be white lines on the road to measure you over. Also, this information would need to be on the ticket, there would be miles timed and time measured information included on the ticket.

It sounds like most all the information is missing. The Ranger will be required to show at the court and he will also be required to present proof that what ever he used to measure the speed was calibrate and done so by a PA proved test station.
I don't think there was any white lines on the road..... what infomation would be on the ticket? an do you know whereit would be located on a Pa citation?

Maestro64

I don't think there was any white lines on the road..... what infomation would be on the ticket? an do you know whereit would be located on a Pa citation?
There is a spot on the ticket that say "miles timed" and "time measured" if those are blank then he just guessed.

Last edited:

creeper71

There is a spot on the ticket that say "miles timed" and "time measured" if those are blank then he just guested.
Ok sorry it took me so long to reply back, I looked at my citation an on sections 53an54 he wrote miles timed .038 sec.timed 2.28 on section 57 date eqip tested 2-2-09 does he need to write if the equipment was tested an an calibrated the morning before he left the station to do speed checks? thanks again for your help!

Maestro64

Okay, he used a stopwatch base on everything you wrote, and he should have recorded the serial number and the calibration state it was cal at, if that is missing then that also helps you.

No they do not need to cal the day of, it only has to be calibrated with in 60 days of the citation. which it looks like it was.

He measured you over 200 ft so go back and see if there was white lines on the road, if so know you know what they did. If no line, then you have to question how did he know it was 200ft and what was used to measure the distance.

if you plan to fight this here is other information you should be aware of

http://www.radardetector.net/forums/how-beat-your-ticket/25780-pa-case-law-speeder-other-useful-info.html#post281869

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">