• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

'speeding' in PA, pulled over in NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Strive

What is the name of your state? PA

firstly, I am a new user (thank you for being here!)

I was traveling from PA to NY and got pulled over a few miles past the state line in NY by a PA cop for speeding, or so he says, in PA. According to his data, I was going 71 in a 55. I got a ticket earlier this year and watch my speed, so I know that is not true. I told him that and he said he would not have stopped me if I had not been speeding.

At the time he stopped me, I was doing 55, give or take a couple mph. Monday (tomorrow, gulp!) is my last day to ask the Magistrate for a court date and I have been torn on what to say. Not only do I believe I am not guilty of the speed he recorded (I watch my speed as I have already gotten one ticket this year and cannot afford to lose my license by getting any more tickets -- nor am I rich) , but I also would like to proof that the PA cop had jurisdiction in NY to pull me over ... and I do not want to ruffle any feathers.

Can any of you offer any ideas I can use in a letter to present when I go in Monday? Ideally, the Magistrate will throw this out -- but if I actually have a court date assigned, I need to know how to defend myself.

Thank you!

Warm Regards,
Strive

FlyingRon

Unlike you see in the old tv shows, the cops don't have to shutdown their persuit at the state lines. Nearly every state offers reciprocal courtesy to the neighboring jurisdictions. If an officer is pursuing a violator from his jurisdiction, he make make the stop/arrest in the other.

It doesn't matter how fast you were going when he stopped you, it was how fast you were going when he clocked you.

Only cost you $6 to plead not guilty and you have a few weeks to come up with a defense. Go for it and do your research (and lots of it).

I will always refuse to plead guilty to a speeding ticket (at least not before seeing the evidence and doing some negotiating, if necessary)

Strive

how to argue a speeding ticket

thank you for responding

I plead not guilty and requested a hearing, which is tomorrow, Monday

I do not know how I can prove that I was NOT speeding. The only witness in the car was my dog.

I am not sure what to research. I spent a lot of time reading things and, so far, this is all I have found, "challenge the tuning fork calibration (if radar was used) ...it may have been a laser gun - it that case you challenge the external calibration on that."

But, if he has a calibration report, all I can say is that it was not done just before he stopped me and was not calibrated anymore -- or he just misread it. I don't know how these things work and by the time I find out, I won't have time to do any research because it will be at my hearing.

How does he know it was even me? He, apparently, was stopped (and probably behind a bush or something, hiding as they often do) -- then he came blazing down the road -- but I was a few miles into NY -- DOING the speed limit so how can I be sure that it was not another vehicle that looked similar to mine? Unless he took a picture, I don't see how he can correlate his reading to my vehicle.

Thank you

FlyingRon

The officer will testify as to the conditions under which he observed you speeding. Depending on the state you may or may NOT have had the chance for discovery before this. Your protestations are weak to say the least. Your dog will not be allowed to testify. This is good, because while they are loyal, they are extremely truthful.

Strive

what a racket

a long-haired rottweiler

speeding tickets are such a racket. Five years ago, I was given a speeding ticket and I was not speeding that time either -- the officer saw I was pulling a U-Haul and figured I wouldn't be back to contest it. I objected through through the mail and they doubled my fine and issued a warrant. This time, I am here so I will show up in person.

From what I have read, if I can't PROVE I am innocent then I need to lie and say I'm guilty to get a reduced sentence. I thought the burden of proof was on the prosecution -- and it is impossible to prove something that did not happen. Whatever he brings as evidence, therefore, must have something wrong with it. Sorry if I seem a bit cynical. I am just tired of those with a badge being able to say anything they want whether it is true or not.

As for the method, the ticket says "Radar"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">