• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding & Passing In A No Passing Zone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jack21b

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin, but I am licensed and live in Minnesota.

So a few months ago I was staying with my Aunt while my bedroom was being refinished, on my way home I had been stuck behind a person who was between 5-10 under the speed limit for a few miles now and I hadn't had a chance to pass him. When I did finally have a chance I wasn't paying any attention to the lines, and the cop was obviously no where in sight so I passed him not thinking about the lines due to it being late and just wanting to get home.

In short I was given a passing in a no passing zone ticket, and also a speeding ticket without any radar, his justification for it was and I quote " I could hear you're car so you must have been on it pretty good" and to this I just kept my mouth shut and said okay and went on with my night. Now this happened in a spot where the speed limit went from 30mph to 45mph and shortly after that it changes again to 55mph so I don't believe there is any reason that I should have gotten the speeding ticket.

I currently just had my pre-trial meeting with the city prosecuting attorney in which he offered to drop either one of the tickets I would like. Am I better off taking the deal and living with one of the tickets or should I push on to see what a judge has to say about everything? I currently have a clean driving record and would like to keep it that way. If I continue onto trial the officer will be asked to come testify.

Will I be giving up my deal that is currently on the table with one of the tickets if I continue to the judge, or will it still be offered when I am in trial?

Does anybody know which ticket will affect my insurance more? Both tickets are estimated at four points a piece.

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Both tickets are estimated at four points a piece.
Estimated?? What does that mean exactly?

By the way, insurance doesn't care about points they have their own system of looking at traffic violations. Points vary from state to state so they're meaningless.

Well, your record won't be clean after this is over.

Radar or other devices are not necessary to win a speeding conviction - the officer's speed estimation is more than sufficient.

Personally, I think you'd be foolish to go to trial. You're clearly wrong so I'd take the deal. It's up to you which charge to drop.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">