• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

speeding/racing ticket, help please.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

clearcutboy87

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

I have had a clean driving record for almost two years now. I recently got 2 tickets in some very bad luck, ohh well it happens.

Ticket #1 - Speeding Ticket: I was driving home at about 10:00 p.m on an open road, nobody was on it. I was aware I was running late from my girlfriends house, and I knew I would get in trouble if I came home late again. So moving down a hill, the thoughts of me getting in trouble still lingering in my mind, I get a heavy foot and I got clocked going 62 in a 35. The cop was rather nice about such a ticket, but he just couldnt let me go. I am going to court on my court date. I am willing to negotiate this ticket, but I dont know what to plea. I want to plea no contest, then I will be talked to about negotiating something. Any advice on this ticket? Anything would be greatly appreciated.

Ticket #2 - Racing Ticket: Okay, this ticket is totally wrong. Those who live in the milwaukee area all know about highway 100, and its the place where people cruise and race. I have gone crusing many times before, and havent ever raced often at all. I was traveling with friends in my car, and we all wanted to pick up some starbucks, and there were 4 starbucks on highway100, and we did. I knew the highway very well, and thought it would be interesting to take the long way home, by making a half pass on the highway. I wasnt really crusing, but whatever. We were stopped at a light where there were many modded out vehicles around me, i was in the right lane. Theres 3 lanes on the highway speed limit 45. The light goes green and im in the front of the pack, the guys on the left two lanes take off racing, I go ohh cool, so I give the car some gas to watch the race. I went from 0-50 in about 5 seconds, keep in mind that I was quite far back from the initial racing, and eased off and watched other cars behind me race off. Cops were all over this, pulling me and many others over. The cop said I was racing, blahblah, but my g/f and friends told him I wasnt. I cant prove I wasnt, he cant prove I was. From behind I bet it looked like I was, but I wasnt. Also, on the ticket, under the description, it says I was accused of racing on 03/13/2005, and the real date was 03/19/2005. This is a pretty big mistake, could it help?? Also, it doesnt have if I had passangers circled, and the proof of me racing had nothing filled out. I want to know what I should do. No Contest or Not Guilty?? Any advice, thanks...

Paul.

ptlmejo

First, about the speeding ticket. If you plead no contest, the court will find you guilty for the forfeiture amount listed on the front. If you want to "bargain" as you say, plead not guilty and that will get you a pre-trial with the prosecutor.

Second, racing. The statue itself is rather vague:

"No operator of a motor vehicle shall participate in any race or speed or endurance contest upon any highway."

What it will boil down to is your word against theirs. Racing is a fairly serious charge and most judges won't convict on it as easily as, say, a speeding citation. Ultimately, it is up to you. You have witnesses who say you weren't racing, but if you took off like a shot from the light, I can certainly see where the officers were coming from in citing you. Perhaps, something along the lines of unnecessary acceleration would have been more appropriate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">