• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding and reckless driving? need help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zah12345

What is the name of your state? MD ticket was in NC

Here is the story:
I was driving from FL to MD to visit for spring break and I was on I-95, going about 80-85 on cruise control in the right lane. There was no one on the road until I came up to a truck going a bit slower so I went in the right lane to pass him. As I got in the right lane another car was coming up from behind at extroidinary speeds so I sped up to around 90-95 so I could get past the truck before the car could catch up and be right on me. The car must have been going quicker then I thought because it got right on me before I could pass, it was also the cop. I first hoped since he was going so fast mabe he was going somewhere but instead he pulled me over for going 95 in a 70 and for reckless driving.
This is my first violation and I can't afford a lawyer or points on my license.
Does anyone have any advice on how to get out of this with as little damage as possible? Is there any way I can plead not guilty?

Last edited:

Zah12345

also...
I'm 18 and finals for my college are the week the court date is. How likely is it to get a later court date? I live in FL 9 hours away from NC.

lwpat

I can't afford a lawyer or points on my license.
These are mutually exclusive. Contact the clerk of court and see if you can enter a plea of not guilty by mail and set another court date. Then hire an attorney to negotiate for you. Otherwise be prepared to park your car because you will not be able to afford the insurance.

Zah12345

I read somewhere that it is hard to prove reckless driving, is this true? And on another note, when the officer pulled me over he never mentioned that he was putting reckless driving as one of my violations. Does this mean anyhting?

Dude

If you're driving 90 mph ANYWHERE except a race track, you're not not going to get any sympathy from anyone, including the court.

Zah12345

ok wow, people have posted that they do over a 100 in a 60 zone and they get more help then you just gave me. Where did I ask for sympathy by the way? I asked about the chances of fighting the reckless driving violation and if I have a chance of negotionating on my own without having to pay for a lawyer. The site is for free advice, please keep it to that.

NC State Police are highly trained, very professional and respected by the courts. They don't add a reckless charge unless they have observed you doing something insane or in the aggressive driving category.

Accelerating to 90+ to pass on the right (also illegal in a reckless sense...) and cutting rapidly back infront of the truck might be enough. You don't have much of a chance on your own getting this reduced.

NC will suspend your licence for any conviction more than 15 over or greater than 80. The suspension will ripple back to your home state and your insurance will more than double (probably throw you into the high risk pool). This is a misdemeanor in NC so you will have a record if convicted that could cause problems getting some jobs.

As long as you didn't do something to make the trooper remember you in a bad way, a good lawyer can get this reduced to a 79 in a 70 and save you money in the long run. Fines and court costs will probably be in the $150 range. You may need $500 tp $1,000+ for the legal help.

fedcop110

I agree with Robbie0723. You need to get a lawyer.

This is my first violation and I can't afford a lawyer or points on my license.
You need to get a lawyer, or points on your license is inevitable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">