• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding in a School Zone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rjeezy

What is the name of your state? Florida

Got a ticket today on the way to Gainesville.. which consists of going through small towns with speed traps. Ive driven this route plenty of times and know not to speed.

Its almost been 2 years since my last ticket and i guess my luck ran out today. I was ticketed in a school zone in this tiny city, Waldo, which is problem no longer than 1 mile or two that i have to go through it. It is also one of the most well known speed traps. The speed limit is usually 35, i was going 32. But the school zone speed limit is 15.

I am contemplating whether or not if I should contest it. I know those school lights were not flashing yet when I had gone through it. The ticket says it was issued at 1:33 pm.

From what I looked up online the lights dont come up @ 130, 15 minutes before school gets out. (http://www.cityofgainesville.org/pubworks/traffic/) - under the School Speed Zone FAQ

"For the afternoon or dismissal, the school speed zone is in effect from 15 minutes prior to the dismissal of school until 30 minutes after school is dismissed".

The earliest schools get out in the county is 1:45, hence the lights come on @ 130.
It also can be confirmed through the .pdf file listed on that site which the Flashing School Zone Charts. (http://www.cityofgainesville.org/webportal/portals/pubworks/docs/pw_t_FlashingSchoolZones.pdf )

So I believe when I went through those lights they were not on yet. It still would have taken the cop time to pull me over, and walk to my car, ask for my license, walk back check over things, then write the ticket. I believe that was more than 3 minutes. Therefore when I went through that light and the area, the school zone speed limit was not up yet.
The passenger and I were trying to figure out why I was pulled over, when I was clearly not speeding under the normal speed limits and checked the time if the school zone times were in effect.
The passenger with me also confirmed that when we were pulled over that it was only 1:30 further confirming that when we had gone through the school zone speed limit was not in effect when we had went through.

So when i go to court.. do i plead no contest or not guilty? or which would probably give me the better outcome. Any input would be appreciated.

JIMinCA

Are you sure that school gets out at 1:45?? You could simply stop in and ask the administration. If they get out later, you were not in a school zone.

rjeezy

yea im pretty sure that school was getting out at 1:45. Cuz i went back around just to check shortly after i got the ticket. and by that time, the lights were on. Which confirms the online reports that the lights come on 15 minutes before school ends.

VeronicaLodge

should it matter what the watches say if the lights for the school zone were not on? are we supposed to know at what time the schools everywhere in the country get out if their school zones have lights?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
should it matter what the watches say if the lights for the school zone were not on? are we supposed to know at what time the schools everywhere in the country get out if their school zones have lights?
No, because the lights are there to REMIND you...

JIMinCA

yea im pretty sure that school was getting out at 1:45. Cuz i went back around just to check shortly after i got the ticket. and by that time, the lights were on. Which confirms the online reports that the lights come on 15 minutes before school ends.
No.... that only indicates that the lights come on some time after 1:30. Don't be lazy. Ask the administration what time school gets out.

VeronicaLodge

No, because the lights are there to REMIND you...
really!!!??? I don't have children and I have no idea what time the schools around her start and get out. I think ours say something like "15 miles an hour when lights are flashing" maybe thats thats the difference?

rjeezy

No.... that only indicates that the lights come on some time after 1:30. Don't be lazy. Ask the administration what time school gets out.
On the .pdf link i posted.. it showed that the schools in the area and in alachua county get out at 1:45. Thats the earliest of any school.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
really!!!??? I don't have children and I have no idea what time the schools around her start and get out. I think ours say something like "15 miles an hour when lights are flashing" maybe thats thats the difference?
Very good point - however, if our OP entered the school zone 1 second before the lights started flashing, that doesn't mean he's not in a flashing school zone...
And...it all comes down to PROOF.

VeronicaLodge

Very good point - however, if our OP entered the school zone 1 second before the lights started flashing, that doesn't mean he's not in a flashing school zone...
And...it all comes down to PROOF.
i know, im always afraid of the lights starting just after i pass under them and you cant see the lights on the other end of the zone! so unfair!

JIMinCA

On the .pdf link i posted.. it showed that the schools in the area and in alachua county get out at 1:45. Thats the earliest of any school.
Is there a reason why you don't want to go to the school's administration to ask when school gets out? If it says the earliest school gets out is 1:45, it doesn't necessarily mean THAT school gets out at 1:45. Heck, you don't even have to go there... just give them a call. I don't understand you would want to proceed on speculation.

VeronicaLodge

just fyi i went through 2 school zones on my way home lastnight and 1 other one on my way to work this morning, they all say "15 miles per hour when flashing" so i was right about mine at least lol.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">