• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding in school zone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OK

I was pulled over and ticketed for speeding in a school zone yesterday. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find details of the school zone law in the state online and the code section number the police put on the ticket (Title 37, Section 623) doesn't exist (at least as far as the Internet shows).

What I've been able to pick up via my searching is that the school zone lights and reduced speed limits are in place from 15 minutes before school closes until 30 minutes afterwards. This particular school closes at 3:00 pm. The time of the infraction on the ticket says 15:32 - or 2 minutes after the zone should have closed.

Ordinarily, I wouldn't get too worked up about a school zone, but in OK, the penalties are huge - and can even lead to imprisonment. It's impossible to simply pay the fine - you have to go to court.

1. Is the above information correct? (30 minutes after school ends)

2. Can anyone find a reference to Title 37, Section 623? If not, will I be able to get the ticket thrown out for having the wrong information on it?

3. Will I be able to get it thrown out for being issued 2 minutes after the school zone reduced speed limits should have ended?

Thanks.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OK

I was pulled over and ticketed for speeding in a school zone yesterday. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find details of the school zone law in the state online and the code section number the police put on the ticket (Title 37, Section 623) doesn't exist (at least as far as the Internet shows).

What I've been able to pick up via my searching is that the school zone lights and reduced speed limits are in place from 15 minutes before school closes until 30 minutes afterwards. This particular school closes at 3:00 pm. The time of the infraction on the ticket says 15:32 - or 2 minutes after the zone should have closed.

Ordinarily, I wouldn't get too worked up about a school zone, but in OK, the penalties are huge - and can even lead to imprisonment. It's impossible to simply pay the fine - you have to go to court.

1. Is the above information correct? (30 minutes after school ends)

2. Can anyone find a reference to Title 37, Section 623? If not, will I be able to get the ticket thrown out for having the wrong information on it?

3. Will I be able to get it thrown out for being issued 2 minutes after the school zone reduced speed limits should have ended?

Thanks.
LOL... Misto, my friend. I tried to get the FA crystal ball back from DC but he said he wouldn't be giving it back until after the Superbowl.

Sorry, pal. I just couldn't resist. I'm buying Zigner's drink, so I guess I'll buy yours later too!!!

♥tigi

mistoffolees

LOL... Misto, my friend. I tried to get the FA crystal ball back from DC but he said he wouldn't be giving it back until after the Superbowl.

Sorry, pal. I just couldn't resist. I'm buying Zigner's drink, so I guess I'll buy yours later too!!!

♥tigi
I think I'm going to need one.

You'd think that it would be possible to actually find the laws online, wouldn't you?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Oklahoma Statutes Citationized
Title 47. Motor Vehicles
Chapter 11 - Rules of the Road
Section 11-806.1 - School Zone - Reduced Speed Limit
Cite as: 47 O.S. § 11-806.1 (OSCN 2010)

Where any portion of a road, street, or highway is a properly marked school zone, as indicated with appropriate warning signs placed in accordance with the latest edition of the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, and a reduced speed limit as properly posted, shall be in effect during certain times due to the presence or potential presence of school children, no person shall drive any vehicle upon that portion of the highway which is the school zone in excess of the reduced speed limit so posted when the reduced speed limit is in effect. Violation of the posted reduced speed limit in the school zone shall result in the doubling of the appropriate fine.

Historical Data

Added by Laws 2003, SB 673, c. 199, § 8, eff. November 1, 2003.
OSCN Found Document:School Zone - Reduced Speed Limit

Title 37 is Intoxicating Liquors. :eek:
Title 47 is Motor Vehicles.

mistoffolees

Oklahoma Statutes Citationized
Title 47. Motor Vehicles
Chapter 11 - Rules of the Road
Section 11-806.1 - School Zone - Reduced Speed Limit
Cite as: 47 O.S. § 11-806.1 (OSCN 2010)

Where any portion of a road, street, or highway is a properly marked school zone, as indicated with appropriate warning signs placed in accordance with the latest edition of the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, and a reduced speed limit as properly posted, shall be in effect during certain times due to the presence or potential presence of school children, no person shall drive any vehicle upon that portion of the highway which is the school zone in excess of the reduced speed limit so posted when the reduced speed limit is in effect. Violation of the posted reduced speed limit in the school zone shall result in the doubling of the appropriate fine.

Historical Data

Added by Laws 2003, SB 673, c. 199, § 8, eff. November 1, 2003.
OSCN Found Document:School Zone - Reduced Speed Limit

Title 37 is Intoxicating Liquors. :eek:
Title 47 is Motor Vehicles.
I got that. But it doesn't answer the 2 questions:

1. Is the fact that the police officer apparently put the wrong title and section grounds for dismissal?

and

2. Is it correct that the 'certain times' ends 30 minutes after the close of school and, if so, is the fact that I was ticketed 2 minutes later grounds for dismissal?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">