• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding in School Zone, lights not on

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ian505c5

What is the name of your state? WA

Refer to this map:
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/3131/drivingtm6.jpg

I was driving down this street in the morning around half past 7. When I entered the school zone I was driving aproximently 28 mph on a normally 30 mph road. The school zone speed limit is 20. In my city, school zone lights turn on (meaning the speed is in effect) 30 mins prior to the school opening. This particular elementary school opens at 8, so the lights would turn on at exactly 7:30. I continue along this until the highlighted intersection where I run into a red light. I continue on and see a parked cop with his gun out on me and as I pass, lights up and pulls me over. I wait in my car until he walks up explains how fast I was going and that the area is a school zone. I hand him my registration and wait for the bad news. No less than a minute and a hald later he walks back up with my ticket for a speeding violation in a school zone at 8 over. $177 fine.

The thing is, the time he wrote the ticket was 7:34, it says on the actual ticket which I mailed to the court. Is it plausible that I entered the school zone BEFORE the lights turned on? I find it hard to beleive this all happened in less than 4 mins, from the point which I entered the school zone to the red light, to when he pulled me over and collected my information, and when he wrote my ticket. Do I have a chance if I contest that the lights were not on warning me to slow down? I hardly ever drive downt this road, and it is actually one of the cities main streets with 4 lanes, so the elementary school is kind of secluded along side. The judge also cannot lower my fine in my state, so it is either dropped or I pay. Thanks for any help.

racer72

Were any children present at anytime when you were within the school zone? If so, you don't have a defense. The flashing lights let motorists know that the school zone laws are in effect while the school is in operation, if there were any children present, the school zone speed limit law is in effect even if the lights are not flashing. I drive through 2 different school zones in my commute in King County, both have the flashing lights but both also have signs stating school zone when children are present.

Why can't the judge lower the fine? I have seen it done many times. If you have a clean driving record, you can request a deferral. Keep your nose clean and get no tickets for a year and the ticket will go away.

ian505c5

There wouldn't be any children present on the sidewalks of such a busy street, they would be over at the entrance of the school. Although I can't prove that in any way, and the cop could jsut say children were present. It says on my ticket that by statute, when it comes to speeding in a school zone, construction zone, or passing a school bus, the judge cannot lower or defer my fine. :confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">