• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding in staten Island NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

promek

What is the name of your state? NJ

I was Given a Summons for Doing 71 at a 50Mph zone on the Staten Island Expressway. it was Richmond county cop from the 112 Precint according to the Summons.

I have 2 questions
1- if i pay the fine will I get points on my NJ license since I live in NJ?
2- if I hire a lawyer what are my chances of beating the Case, and what will it cost for representation?

I appreciate any advice, I dont which way to go?

Shay-Pari'e

promek said:

I was Given a Summons for Doing 71 at a 50Mph zone on the Staten Island Expressway. it was Richmond county cop from the 112 Precint according to the Summons.

I have 2 questions
2- if I hire a lawyer what are my chances of beating the Case, and what will it cost for representation?

You will be hearing from them in the mail with your fine. You will be offered traffic school if your record has been clean for a while.

Pay the fine and do the traffic school they offer, ....................This is what will keep your insurance rates from going up.

qcxlvr1

--PARIDISE-- said:
You will be hearing from them in the mail with your fine. You will be offered traffic school if your record has been clean for a while.

Pay the fine and do the traffic school they offer, ....................This is what will keep your insurance rates from going up.
Please don't print information that is not true.

Summonses issued within the five boroughs of the City of New York are returnable to a New York State Department of Motor Vehicles Administrative Adjudication Bureau. You plead guilty or not guilty and are found guilty or not guilty. There is no plea bargaining, no traffic school, etc.

Your best bet for tickets at the DMV run courts in NYC are to have an experienced traffic attorney handle it. There are a few out there in the area who were former DMV judges; they're the most expensive but they are your best hope for getting a favorable disposition.

qcxlvr1

promek said:

I have 2 questions

Two points are assigned to New Jersey license holders for out of state convictions. I'd estimate that one of the attorneys I described above will be at least a few hundred dollars.

Shay-Pari'e

qcxlvr1 said:
Please don't print information that is not true.

Summonses issued within the five boroughs of the City of New York are returnable to a New York State Department of Motor Vehicles Administrative Adjudication Bureau. You plead guilty or not guilty and are found guilty or not guilty. There is no plea bargaining, no traffic school, etc.

Your best bet for tickets at the DMV run courts in NYC are to have an experienced traffic attorney handle it. There are a few out there in the area who were former DMV judges; they're the most expensive but they are your best hope for getting a favorable disposition.

No, you try and give correct advice.

This is one of many links of interest to our poster. No traffic school in NY? Your nuts.

http://www.dmv.org/ny-new-york/traffic-schools.php

qcxlvr1

--PARIDISE-- said:
No, you try and give correct advice.

This is one of many links of interest to our poster. No traffic school in NY? Your nuts.

http://www.dmv.org/ny-new-york/traffic-schools.php
OK, I have personally issued summonses returnable to New York State DMV courts as part of my job for several years now. Furthermore, I've testified in plenty of TVB cases. I honestly doubt you have better experience in New York traffic courts than I do.

There is no such thing as "traffic school," in New York State. It is a point reduction course AND DOES NOT ERASE ANY CONVICTION ASSOCIATED WITH SAID POINT REDUCTION.

And please don't post a website that is not an official New York State Department of Motor Vehicles website. I've already explained to the poster how his/her situation will be handled and you have provided two posts of inaccurate information and managed to assert your belief that I'm nuts. Real mature.

Shay-Pari'e

qcxlvr1 said:
OK, I have personally issued summonses returnable to New York State DMV courts as part of my job for several years now. Furthermore, I've testified in plenty of TVB cases. I honestly doubt you have better experience in New York traffic courts than I do.

There is no such thing as "traffic school," in New York State. It is a point reduction course That is contradicting yourself.

AND DOES NOT ERASE ANY CONVICTION ASSOCIATED WITH SAID POINT REDUCTION. Never said it did, what I stated was that iif traffic school was available to the poster he should do it as to not affect his car insurance.

And please don't post a website that is not an official New York State Department of Motor Vehicles website. I've already explained to the poster how his/her situation will be handled and you have provided two posts of inaccurate information and managed to assert your belief that I'm nuts. Real mature.

There is Traffic School in the state of New York. I am not a police officer, but when I was younger I attended traffic school (IN NEW YORK)and it didn't effect my insurance one bit.

That is the point of my post officer, not the ticket, the insurance.

Now be nice and tell me again there is no such thing as Traffic School related to speeding tickets in my Home State of New York.

We could always just and make up like little kids do. :D

PSST. That was the official DMV.Org site, got something better to show me?

Last edited:

promek

First of all thank you both for the information provided.

I have taken a Defensive Driving Course when i Lived in NY a long time ago,and all it did was remove the points that i had at that time, But it stayed of my driving record for up to 5 years.My insurance rates didnt drop at all.The insurance companies go 5 years into your record when issuing new policies.

I think my best bet is to fight the ticket and see if i can get an attorney in Staten Island.

Thanks

qcxlvr1

promek said:
First of all thank you both for the information provided.

I have taken a Defensive Driving Course when i Lived in NY a long time ago,and all it did was remove the points that i had at that time, But it stayed of my driving record for up to 5 years.My insurance rates didnt drop at all.The insurance companies go 5 years into your record when issuing new policies.

I think my best bet is to fight the ticket and see if i can get an attorney in Staten Island.

Thanks
Staten Island TVB has an extremely high conviction rate and the judges there are not really nice people at all. The situation is going to be further compounded for you if the person who issued the summons is assigned to Highway Patrol.

So, as you indicated, find an attorney who does nothing but traffic/TVB stuff in the city. It will be expensive, but chances are, he or she will know the judge and perhaps even the officer. These are the most expensive types of traffic lawyers, but its the only hope for you.

Paridise--I am sorry if my comments appeared to be terse. Traffic school as I understand it in places like California or Florida will "withhold the adjudication (or a finding)" meaning you aren't really convicted or receive points, so you're not going to get an insurance increase. Unfortunately, in New York, all the course does is remove up to four points and give you a 10% decrease on liability insurance portion. This does nothing really as your conviction still stays on record for the year of conviction and three years thereafter. The insurance company will continue to rape you as they don't really care about points--those are for internal DMV use in NYS to identify persistant violators which clear every 18 months anyway.

I do believe you took a traffic school in NY--that's probably what they call it. But, its not traffic school in the conventional sense of one and no court will offer you it unlike California or Florida, for example.

I was just trying to set the facts out for NY.

You Are Guilty

Well stated and for what it's worth, this lawyer agrees with you. About the only thing you faield to add (and it really is irrelevant to this thread) is that the TVB exists not only in the 5 boroughs, but also in parts of Long Island as well.

Best advice for fighting a ticket there pro se? Bring the large tube of KY with you. :eek:

Shay-Pari'e

qcxlvr1 said:
Staten Island TVB has an extremely high conviction rate and the judges there are not really nice people at all. The situation is going to be further compounded for you if the person who issued the summons is assigned to Highway Patrol.

So, as you indicated, find an attorney who does nothing but traffic/TVB stuff in the city. It will be expensive, but chances are, he or she will know the judge and perhaps even the officer. These are the most expensive types of traffic lawyers, but its the only hope for you.

Paridise--I am sorry if my comments appeared to be terse. Traffic school as I understand it in places like California or Florida will "withhold the adjudication (or a finding)" meaning you aren't really convicted or receive points, so you're not going to get an insurance increase. Unfortunately, in New York, all the course does is remove up to four points and give you a 10% decrease on liability insurance portion. This does nothing really as your conviction still stays on record for the year of conviction and three years thereafter. The insurance company will continue to rape you as they don't really care about points--those are for internal DMV use in NYS to identify persistant violators which clear every 18 months anyway.

I do believe you took a traffic school in NY--that's probably what they call it. But, its not traffic school in the conventional sense of one and no court will offer you it unlike California or Florida, for example.

I was just trying to set the facts out for NY.
I was going to private message you with my comment, but you don't have PM.

I apologize also. New York is my birst place, (Upper/ Syracuse), and I was nasty bye calling you nuts. I've read your post's, and you are far more experienced with traffic issues in NY than I am.

I will stay off traffic issues that relate to NY, as they are extremly different than here in Cali.

You Are Guilty

Blah, Syracuse isn't NY - heck, they can't even beat Vermont. I think that means they have to move to NJ as punishment. :p

Besides, NYC traffic "courts" are unlike any others in the entire country. It's a nightmare that makes small claims court look good.

promek

Thankyou all for the replies

I guess i'll hire a lawyer, and bring a big tub K-Y to Court. It looks like im going to need it.
I didnt think Staten Island was worse than Queens TVB.

Thanks

Shay-Pari'e

You Are Guilty said:
Blah, Syracuse isn't NY - heck, they can't even beat Vermont. I think that means they have to move to NJ as punishment. :p

Besides, NYC traffic "courts" are unlike any others in the entire country. It's a nightmare that makes small claims court look good.
No real ties there, was just born there. Got my ticket at the age of 18 visiting the grandparents for the summer. California is Home. Did you hear we had a tornado touch down in the city yesterday?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">