• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Speeding" in Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

William OQ

What is the name of your state? Texas for college, but my permanent address is in Illinois

The other day, I received a citation from a Texas State Trooper for allegedly going 81 in a 70. I have a few problems aside from the obvious "I can't afford a ticket because I'm a college student" problem. First, he didn't come up with my alleged speed until he came back with the ticket. This may not be THAT important but it did bother me. Second, he told me he gave me a warning, but after I signed, he gave me a copy that said VIOLATION, and after calling the Department of Public Safety, I found that this is an actual ticket, not a warning.

Let me describe the events leading up to the time he pulled me over. I got on the highway right behind the cop. I knew he was there. When we both got on I-35, he stayed in the right lane, while I went to the middle lane behind a semi truck. As I caught up to the semi truck, I needed to pass to maintain the speed limit of 70, which my cruise control was set on. So I changed to the left lane, which had no one in it. I was slowly passing the truck as he started to drift close to my lane. This made me uncomfortable so I pressed on my gas a little to get in front of the truck, and then switched back to the middle lane so that the truck couldn't get next to me again, due to the fact that trucks can't be in the left lane. I then slowed back down to 70 mph with my cruise control still active. At this point the cop was still in the right lane and about 5 car lengths ahead of me. before I knew it he had slowed down, gotten behind me and turned his lights on.

After talking to his supervisor, they will take a look at the footage and see if he said warning or actual ticket, which I have little hope for. I guess my question is, what would be my best bet in this situation: take it to court? admit guilt and try to get court supervision to later have it removed?

I have been told (not officially) that I am ineligible for the driver safety class because I'm from out of state.

Thanks in advance for any help

justalayman

well, nothing you state suggests you aren't guilty. In fact, quite the opposite. You admit you did speed up from your cruise control set 70 mph speed.

as to the telling you the speed when he did: doesn't make any difference. Maybe he was going to give you a warning so didn't really pay that much attention to it but when he listened to your excuse, he changed his mind and gave you a ticket where he had to determine how fast you were going. Are you claiming you did not go that fast? How did the cop determine your speed (it should be on the ticket)?

whether he said he was going to give you a warning or a ticket is irrelevant. You deserved a ticket.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">