• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding ticked on road trip

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

z456

I received a speeding ticket in Virginia on my way down the east coast for a road trip. I was going 74 in a 60. I understand that I was clearly going over the speed limit.

When i got pulled over i was literally 50 ft away from a 65 mph marker, i tried to talk to the cop about it but he was just the typical full of himself southerner cop. His exact words when i brought up the 65 mile marker were "Your'e not in a 65 mile per hour zone son, that starts the 65 mph zone". I also do believe that I was singled out, out of everyone on the road cause I had a New York licence plate, but i know that's not possible to prove. Is it possible to get the amount of the ticket lowered at all? is it even worth fighting?

Going to the court dates really not an option as i don't want to travel 10 hours one way to get to the court.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I received a speeding ticket in Virginia on my way down the east coast for a road trip. I was going 74 in a 60. I understand that I was clearly going over the speed limit.

When i got pulled over i was literally 50 ft away from a 65 mph marker, i tried to talk to the cop about it but he was just the typical full of himself southerner cop. His exact words when i brought up the 65 mile marker were "Your'e not in a 65 mile per hour zone son, that starts the 65 mph zone". I also do believe that I was singled out, out of everyone on the road cause I had a New York licence plate, but i know that's not possible to prove. Is it possible to get the amount of the ticket lowered at all? is it even worth fighting?

Going to the court dates really not an option as i don't want to travel 10 hours one way to get to the court.
Pay the ticket. You are lucky you aren't forced to appear for speeding 14 miles over the speed limit.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I also do believe that I was singled out, out of everyone on the road cause I had a New York licence plate, but i know that's not possible to prove.
One other thing...Let's say that you DID prove it...it doesn't make a difference.

sandyclaus

Really? You full admit that you were speeding. You recognized that you were most definitely not in a zone where you could legally travel the speed you were going, but you expected the "Southern officer" to give you a break. When they refused, it was somehow because you were singled out for being from New York state? Isn't it just possible that the officer came down on you hard BECAUSE you seemed to imply you deserved a break with your attitude?

So sorry that its inconvenient for you to travel back to where you were previously "just passin' thru" to answer for breaking the traffic laws of that jurisdiction. That's just too darn bad. If you didn't want to be bothered with an inconvenient court appearance, you should have been more mindful and respectful by following the traffic laws in that jurisdiction during your brief visit.

ecmst12

Going to court or hiring a lawyer to represent you there would be the only way to fight the ticket - and the cost of a lawyer would most likely exceed the cost of the ticket. Which is why out of state drivers are targeted for tickets, because their ability to fight it is lower. The way to avoid this? Stay with in 5mph of the speed limit when you're out of town.

z456

Really? You full admit that you were speeding. You recognized that you were most definitely not in a zone where you could legally travel the speed you were going, but you expected the "Southern officer" to give you a break. When they refused, it was somehow because you were singled out for being from New York state? Isn't it just possible that the officer came down on you hard BECAUSE you seemed to imply you deserved a break with your attitude?

So sorry that its inconvenient for you to travel back to where you were previously "just passin' thru" to answer for breaking the traffic laws of that jurisdiction. That's just too darn bad. If you didn't want to be bothered with an inconvenient court appearance, you should have been more mindful and respectful by following the traffic laws in that jurisdiction during your brief visit.

Hahaha clearly my language from my post brought out/offended some of the southerners in the forum. No need to get your panties in a bunch. I wouldn't be pissed about the ticked if he wasn't smirking when he was telling me i have the option to appear at the designated court date.

I proceeded to go down through virginia after the ticket, and on 2 more separate occasions I had cops pull out and come after me, even though i had the cruise control set at 1 mph under the speed limit. They would pull up along side the drivers side and then keep going forward and backwards next to my car almost trying to intimidate me or something. One of those two even pulled me over cause he said my passenger in the back had no seat belt on.... there was no passenger in the back, just me and the passenger in the front.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hahaha clearly my language from my post brought out/offended some of the southerners in the forum.
Nope, my response would have been the same if you were the southerner visiting New York. (Well, obviously reversed ;) )

I'm a So-Cal boy, through and through

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">