• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding ticket 100MPH in IL what can be the worse consequency ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mandeep

I was pulled over speeding on I-88 east , at naperville ILLINOIS.
I appeared in the court and judge suggested me to hire an attorney in order to negotiate the penalty with the prosecutor . I spoke to a couple of attorneys , all of them starts with explaining that its a crime equal to that i killed somebody and i can be jailed for this.all of them asked minimum fee for representing me in the court is 1500$ ....but court judge only said that my driving privilege can be (can be) suspended for 90 days .

now can somebody suggest me please -what should i do ? should i hire the lawer to say the same thing which i myself can say to the judge ?
what is the added value of hiring attorney ?
what can be the worst consequences if i plead as guilty ?
anything else that i can do to save some dollars ..1500$ penalty is way too much for me.
anybody gone through the same phase ,please share the experience i would be thankful and appreciate your help.

thanks ,
MK

single317dad

I appeared in the court and judge suggested me to hire an attorney in order to negotiate the penalty with the prosecutor . I spoke to a couple of attorneys , all of them starts with explaining that its a crime equal to that i killed somebody and i can be jailed for this.all of them asked minimum fee for representing me in the court is 1500$ ....but court judge only said that my driving privilege can be (can be) suspended for 90 days .

now can somebody suggest me please -what should i do ? should i hire the lawer to say the same thing which i myself can say to the judge ?
anything else that i can do to save some dollars ..1500$ penalty is way too much for me.
anybody gone through the same phase ,please share the experience i would be thankful and appreciate your help.

thanks ,
MK
What are you charged with? Reckless driving is an A misdemeanor with a maximum 1 year imprisonment. If this is your first misdemeanor, I doubt you'll do more than a weekend in jail. If you've shown a repeated and long term disregard for the law, you could get the maximum sentence. No way to know from here.

You're talking to some pretty shady lawyers if they did, indeed, equate a traffic misdemeanor to murder.

The purpose of hiring a competent criminal defense attorney is not to say the same things you can say; it's to say the right things, instead of whatever you might have said.

If the "penalty" is too high, you might consider driving within the legal limits from here on out.

Bali Hai

What are you charged with? Reckless driving is an A misdemeanor with a maximum 1 year imprisonment. If this is your first misdemeanor, I doubt you'll do more than a weekend in jail. If you've shown a repeated and long term disregard for the law, you could get the maximum sentence. No way to know from here.

You're talking to some pretty shady lawyers if they did, indeed, equate a traffic misdemeanor to murder.

The purpose of hiring a competent criminal defense attorney is not to say the same things you can say; it's to say the right things, instead of whatever you might have said.

If the "penalty" is too high, you might consider driving within the legal limits from here on out.
Maybe not equal to murder but speeding at 100 mph shows a depraved disregard/indifference for human life. More jail space should be constructed for these idiot drivers.

Just Blue

thanks ,
MK
What was the speed limit on I-88?

single317dad

Maybe not equal to murder but speeding at 100 mph shows a depraved disregard/indifference for human life. More jail space should be constructed for these idiot drivers.
While I would agree that, generally, travelling at 100mph is a display of very poor judgment, there are times when that does rise to the level of "depraved indifference" and others where it's simply going a little fast or even completely normal. For example, the 130 loop around Austin is posted 85mph; I wouldn't be surprised if speeders at 90mph are routinely ignored. As a former truck driver, there was many a night a small group of us would cross the Nevada or New Mexico desert in excess of 100mph.

Naperville, IL, is of course not the desert (or the Austin Loop). I-88 through that suburban area is generally posted at 55mph for cars. Travelling at nearly double the speed limit is usually a very dangerous and foolish endeavor.

Just Blue

While I would agree that, generally, travelling at 100mph is a display of very poor judgment, there are times when that does rise to the level of "depraved indifference" and others where it's simply going a little fast or even completely normal. For example, the 130 loop around Austin is posted 85mph; I wouldn't be surprised if speeders at 90mph are routinely ignored. As a former truck driver, there was many a night a small group of us would cross the Nevada or New Mexico desert in excess of 100mph.

Naperville, IL, is of course not the desert (or the Austin Loop). I-88 through that suburban area is generally posted at 55mph for cars. Travelling at nearly double the speed limit is usually a very dangerous and foolish endeavor.
If the limit is 55 and OP was going 100...I have to agree with Bali. The total depraved indifference to the safty of others is sick. IMO OP is lucky he didn't kill someone.

Bali Hai

Whenever I'm out west on one of those desert highways that are flat, straight and can see for miles ahead and behind, I see crosses and flowers marking a fatal accident along side the road and just wonder. I was driving on one of those highways from Flagstaff to the Grand Canyon and came upon a head on collision. There probably wasn't anymore than 2 cars per 10 miles on that stretch of highway.

Bali Hai

speed limit on I-88 is 55mph but you will hardly see anybody driving less than 75-80 there ..its a interstate highway onfact
Not an excuse or reason to follow other morons. The vehicle operators that are obeying the speed limit expect others to do the same. They are not expecting a jackass driving 100 mph when operating their vehicle. If it were me who was the cop who stopped you, you would have spent some time in handcuffs on the way to the crowbar hotel 'onfact'.

I'mTheFather

I"ll add that if the judge told you to get an attorney and you show up without one, you haven't endeared yourself to the judge. Several local lawyers' webpages say that judges require an attorney for the misdemeanor charges. Show up without one, and the judge is likely to assume that you don't mind the maximum penalty.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">