• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding ticket 11 years ago, getting points now ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tibby

I've had a speeding ticket back in 2005 in North Carolina. I wanted to go and pay it off, but I've had to leave the country for family emergencies. After 11 years now I am trying to renew a license and they're saying I have a PDPS on file and I will need to take care of it. I am in California. They told me if I pay it off, I will get 3 points NOW on my old license in NC (Expired in 2008) and the points will not cross state borders. I have called my insurance agency, and they've told me if I get the points now, it will raise my insurance for 3 years because they're looking for points in the past 3 years in every state, not just the one I live in.
What should I do ? I mean it shouldn't expire after a certain time? 11 years is a long time for a speeding ticket.

FlyingRon

Yes, NC hasn't yet adjudicated your case (you're a fugitive). When you pay the ticket, you'll be found guilty, and you will get NC DMV and insurance points which mean little to you since you're out of state (unless there are enough to warrant a further NC suspension). NC has no say as to whether California will give you points. California does assign points for some out of state convictions, I don't know what they'll do about this situation. Your insurance company will also likely also hear about it. Unlike NC, California lets the insureres score things as they care to, so you'll have to see what your insurer will do with it with regard to your rates.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">