• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

speeding ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

emscrib

What is the name of your state? colorado. i got stopped for speeding a week before i left the country. i hold a co license and told the officer that i needed to pay asap as i wouldn't be in the country. he said that if i didn't go to court 't (which was something like a 4 week wait)then i could pay fine in mail but have to wait 14 days until i could pay. well i left without paying but i want to rectify this. how do i go about getting this sorted as i now live in england but am planning to come back to us in a year or so. i imagine there's already some kind of warrant for my arrest out there. i need to pay the fine and get this sorted. any ideas anyone please?will it go on record as crimminal? i want to try to get legal perm residency and possibly ctznship in the future and don't want anything incriminating for obvious reasons. thx.

D

djprice

Failure to appear..

Will be the charge you face, another misdemeanor charge. You're best bet is to call the court on the back of the citation or front whichever is noted and ask to speak to the clerk of same. Explain your predicament and that the time alloted you initially was not reasonable. Some courts can take credit card payments over the phone for citations which is what you should have done in the first place and or arrange a way to pay the ticket either from Europe or otherwise. Failure to appear will result in a warrant being issued for your arrest and subsequently you must return to the point of origin for closure of that case. However... Failure to appear warrants are not a nationally or federally reported crime. Extridition does not happen with failure to appear warrants so it is not likely that it would show up upon re-entry into the country, unless you re-entered in the same juridiction the warrant was issued. Either way you should have taken care of it earlier via telephone. Traffic citations are not "criminal" offenses (at least in Georgia), with the exception of DUI, Leaving the scene of an accident with injury, and aggravated assault with a motor vehicle. Call the court, be very nice with the clerk, tell her / him you know there busy but please can they help. Good luck.

Last edited:
E

emscrib

re: speeding tix

just a short note to thank you for your reply, i shall get this done. i have also posted a question under immigration forum yet have had no replies, do you have any thought on the matter?
once again thanks for reply.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">