• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

RB57

What is the name of your state? California

After mergin onto highway 32 (aka 8th street) I passed a van that was in front of me. As I passed it I saw a white car on the right hand side and realized it was a cop because her yellow lights were already on. She was going to pull me over before I even passed her. Anyways, She clocked me doing 49 in a 35 but said she would cite me for 45. I never asked to see the radar. Under the circumstances, I am curious to know if I should go to court or just plead no contest and pay the fine. After reading some information, it sounds like the area was a speed trap. The reason being is that the speed limit is posted at 35 but it is still a "highway" and it has two lanes both heading west. There is an area where the speed limit isn't posted for a good 6 blocks. However, there are houses on the street but the highway was there first. Any advice?

HomeGuru

RB57 said:
What is the name of your state? California

After mergin onto highway 32 (aka 8th street) I passed a van that was in front of me. As I passed it I saw a white car on the right hand side and realized it was a cop because her yellow lights were already on. She was going to pull me over before I even passed her. Anyways, She clocked me doing 49 in a 35 but said she would cite me for 45. I never asked to see the radar. Under the circumstances, I am curious to know if I should go to court or just plead no contest and pay the fine. After reading some information, it sounds like the area was a speed trap. The reason being is that the speed limit is posted at 35 but it is still a "highway" and it has two lanes both heading west. There is an area where the speed limit isn't posted for a good 6 blocks. However, there are houses on the street but the highway was there first. Any advice?

**A: if there are houses on the street then the speed limit is lower than highway speed because of the residential neighborhood. You failed to abide by the speed limit posted on the signage.

T

toasted

Not to mention, she did you a HUGE favor dropping the speed you were going on the ticket. Why ask for the radar proof? To show you the radar would have probably changed her mind.

Pay the ticket. Be glad your rates aren't going to skyrocket and the ticket didn't cost you more than they both would have had she been honest.

K

Kaz the Minotau

Your response should be: "Thank you Officer / Deputy / Trooper for giving me a break". So, if you think it is a "speed trap" then no speed limits apply? It doesn't matter if it is a raging volcano...the speed limit is set for a reason and you got caught breaking it...be a man and except responsibility fro your actions. BTW, you could have asked to see the radar but the Officer doesn't have to show it to you.

T

toasted

Kaz the Minotau said:
BTW, you could have asked to see the radar but the Officer doesn't have to show it to you.

---> Where did you get this information from? They have to show you here where I am. In court they also have to show records of when it has been callebrated for accuracy.

K

Kaz the Minotau

Last I knew there was a court ruling from somewhere that stated that the officer didn't have to show the def. the radar along the roadside. I could be mistaken though. I'm sure others will shime in soon. I believe it was Bravo 8 that mentioned the court ruling. Obviously them have to show calibration records in court...thats a different situation.

L

loocpoc

In California the officer DOES NOT have to show the radar unit. Just that the unit was calibrated within the past 10 days prior to the ticket being issued.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">